No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart crystal bowl help  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Stuart crystal bowl help
« on: August 23, 2016, 04:46:09 PM »
Does anyone recognise the pattern? It seems very John Luxton-ish with the geometric shapes.
Measures 24cm in diameter, 8cm tall and fully signed to the base.
Any information welcome  ;D

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Stuart crystal bowl help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:28:15 PM »
There is a similar bowl in Nigel's 'Art Deco to Post Modernism' page 11no mention of designer though  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:00:35 PM »
Nigel quotes a date of c. 1937, so it pre dates John Luxton - in the link attached I think McConnell confirms that it's one of Ludwig Kny's designs  -  it's not a rare pattern from what I gather, and seems to have been produced over a long period of time.           We've discussed this on several occasions before.... this is one of them, I think  ....        http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,59680.msg351183.html#msg351183            the comments toward the end are probably more useful than the earlier stuff.

Offline Ben.unwin

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »
Interesting read, thanks!
In a unrelated subject in the link you gave me, you were mentioning pattern names.
Are the different designs of glass named by Stuart themselves, or were they just invented by consumers to differentiate between cuts?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
good question - not something I'd feel competent to answer really - but as an off the cuff reply I would have thought that with Stuart, the factory were more than likely responsible for naming their own designs.         Certainly a lot of Stuart's named decorative patterns go back a long way, and were produced over a longish period.
'Waterford' seems to have been produced from c. 1930s until some time c. 1960s  -  somewhere I have a couple of large bowls in this pattern.
Of course, the ones to have are the early ones signed by Kny.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand