No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to ID Millefiori Ink Bottle  (Read 2486 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Help to ID Millefiori Ink Bottle
« on: August 31, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
I would be grateful for advice as to likely maker of this charming Ink Bottle recently acquired. My first thoughts were Vasart but am out of my depth here.
Regards
Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Help to ID Millefiori Ink Bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »

Hi.  I think Vasart / Ysart Bros is a good call, but Kevin should be able to confirm it. 

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
Thank you.
Ronnie

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »
It may be ok for Ysart Bros period (Vasart). But the proportions look a little odd to me and do not tie in with most of the "Salvador Ysart" bottles I have seen. Also, the striping in the well and neck sections are not spiralled in the usual way for a "Salvador item".

Can you please give measurements for the following:
Height of body section
Height of stopper
Diameter of body at the widest point
Height and diameter of the neck portion from the top of the body to just below the neck rim
Diameter of stopper at widest point

I would like to see more photos showing:
The stopper on its own, showing the whole of the length
Series of four or five shots around the full body section showing how the "well" part is worked

And is it possible to check the UV reaction of the clear glass sections? Ideally I would like to know both longwave and shortwave UV results, but just a longwave (blacklight) reaction may help.
KevinH

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »
Thank you Kevin - I'll get right on it with regards to measurements and photos. Don't know about UV as that is out of my knowledge and understanding. Where can I get a UV light source (if that is appropriate and makes sense) and what do I then do with it.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:24:32 PM »
Additional measurements and photos:
Height of bottle from base to top of stopper - 4.25"
Height of bottle from base to top rim - 3"
Height of bottle from base to bottom of neck - 2"
Length of stopper - 2.25"
Height of neck portion - 0.5" (not including top rim)
Diameter of neck - 1.75"
Diameter of stopper (widest) - 1.25"

Also 4 photos progressing round body.
If you need better or something more just let me know. I am so grateful you are taking the time to help.
Ronnie

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
More pics as requested plus some you didn't. UV Light Torch ordered from Ebay.
Ronnie

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »
For uv lights, check out sites such as Amazon (as well as eBay). Search for "uv light torch" - various makes, at various prices are available, but best to avoid the very cheapest as they may be too small and not have enough strength to be of much use.

Probably best for now to ignore the "shortwave (around 254 nm [nanometres]) uv" versions as extra care needs to be taken that shortwave uv does not get into the eyes or on the skin. Longwave uv (around 365 nm) light is generally safe to use without protection but always best not to stare directly into any uv light.

Basically, for "Vasart" items when longwave uv is directed at the clear glass it will show a definite bright or dull green reaction. If there is no obvious colour reaction, (other than the sometimes seen "purple" which is usually a reflection of the uv bulb) then it is unlikely to be a Vasart piece.
KevinH

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »
Thanks again. Measurements and extra pics provided in earlier post above and will give result of UV Test once torch arrives.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 06:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the sizes and extra photos.

1. Although its dimensions are pretty much ok for usual Salvador Ysart (or early period Vasart) work, the neck section is not as "tall" as I would expect it to be and therefore has too much of a "dumpy" look.

2. The body shots do show that the "well section" is not as neat and precise as is normal - but it is much better set than in some examples I have seen.

3. The "well section" shows clear ribbing "undulations". This is not normal for Salvador / Vasart work where the "well" part is usually very smooth.

4. The shank of the stopper tapers to the end and may wobble somewhat (or greatly) in the neck. This is not usual for Salvador / Vasart bottles in which the stopper shank is almost straight sided but with a curve at the end. See photo below for stopper comparisons where the upper stopper and the one one to the lower right both have a distinctly tapered shank and are from "unknown maker" examples. The other three stoppers are from Salvador bottles and show the typical shape of the shanks.

So, taking all my thoughts together, I am fairly sure that this bottle is from a range of "unknown maker" items, which used Salvador / early Vasart  styles together with genuine "early Ysart" canes but sometimes also including canes which were most likely from Strathearn Glass.

When you get the UV torch, let us know what the reaction is.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand