No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart cut glass bowl possibly late 1930s.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Stuart cut glass bowl possibly late 1930s.
« on: October 17, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »
presently the only place I can see an example of this cut design is on a vase in the Benson & Hayhurst 'Art Deco to Post Modernism' booklet  -  it's item 58, top right, on page 15.                  Nigel's caption reads  ..... "Footed vase cut with panels of half lenses between deep mitre, marked Stuart England, late 1930's, 7.75 ins."  -   there's no mention of designer.

The backstamp on this one is faint, but legible and agrees with the Stuart backstamp shown in Dodsworth (BGBTW) for 1930 - 1950, so this bowl could possibly date to the sort of period that Nigel mentions  -  as always though it's not easy to say for how long some of the designs were produced.

I think it's attractive and a long way removed from those less than interesting cross-cut mitres that became so commonplace in the decade or two that followed.       Size of bowl is about 4" high x 8" at the widest part of the rim (100 mm x 200 mm).

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Stuart cut glass bowl possibly late 1930s.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »
Heck of a piece Paul, great photo's !  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart cut glass bowl possibly late 1930s.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 05:53:04 PM »
thanks Keith  -  this photo set up is courtesy of Dirk's advice ;D  -  and agree it's a lovely piece.                    It came from the PDSA charity shop this morning, so I guess my contribution has helped a little pussy somewhere along the line ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand