No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Blue Stripe  (Read 2121 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Crystal Blue Stripe
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »
I see what you mean Sue, I had not put two and two together, not considered Crystal Blue Stripe a development of the yellow ochre and turquoise stripe stuff (very much 'Rosenthal' like colours).

I have this bowl as well as an onion.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Crystal Blue Stripe
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 10:48:07 AM »
The sliver chlorided strapping is also the same as is in what I call seaweed. It's just a lot easier to apply vertical stripes than it is to produce a good random strapping.
The difference between good random strapping and bad random strapping is about the measure of the difference between Jackson Pollock and what is blu-tacked to 'fridges. One wants Jackson Pollock. (well I certainly do!)

There was random blue strapping (not treated with silver chloride) applied to amethyst vases, mostly cylinders and tall stoppered decanters, and the strapping is not well applied, it's scrappy and messy, it does not look good, (or only very rarely). I think they must have given up on the notion of anybody being able to produce good random work around then.

Lots of the different "ranges" are really just tweaks of others. The cube solifleurs are just ice-cut lollipops, but made square, not flattened out sideways.

Things developed and evolved. The silver chlorided teal strapping was a Michael Harris thing, as was a bubbly yellow background or a crizzle background on clear. The strapping could be applied to lots of different things.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand