No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival Yates & Co or Percival Yeates & Co  (Read 864 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Percival Yates & Co or Percival Yeates & Co
« on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:19 AM »
I thought I'd start a new thread for this as it was confusing looking at all the permutations of company names on previous threads.
I have seen it referred to as Percival Yates however in the 1853 Official Catalogue of the great industrial exhibition Dublin the firm is refered to as Percival Yeates & Co.
Under number 1017 under the glass section it says:

'White, W. 4 Marlboro. St Dublin, a ruby coated vase, richly cut, made by Percival Yeates & Co, and engraved by Bohm, representing Richard Couer de Lion and Saladin at the battle of Ascalon; cut and engraved decanters; ...'

Is 'Bohm' August Bohm?  and did anyone know Percival Yeates produced ruby coated richly cut glass?
(see thread here for more info on August Bohm
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20605.msg116680.html#msg116680  )

https://archive.org/stream/officialcatalogu00exhi#page/76/mode/2up/search/glass+weight

m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Percival Yates & Co or Percival Yeates & Co
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 02:44:09 AM »
There are 2 mentions of the firm in the UK's National Archives as Percival, Yates and Co, which appear to be letters in respect of the EXHIBITION OF THE WORKS OF INDUSTRY OF ALL NATIONS, LONDON, 1 MAY - 15 OCTOBER 1851 (i.e. The Great Exhibition of 1851).

Title: To Thos. Worthington. From Messrs. Percival, Yates and Co., British and Foreign Flint Glass Works, Manchester, withdrawing from Exhibition as space allotted is too small.
Reference: M6/3/11/239-240
Date: 27 Feb 1851
Held by: Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

and

Title: From C. Pasley, Lt. R.E., Superintendent of Class 24, for M.D. Wyatt, to same, allowing Messrs. Molineaux, Webb and Co. the space formerly allocated to Percival, Yates and Co.
Reference: M6/3/8/350
Date: 28 Feb 1851
Held by: Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

I suspect Yeates is a more common surname in Ireland so it's an understandable mistake in the Dublin exhibition catalogue.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Percival Yates & Co or Percival Yeates & Co
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »
Thanks Anne :)

On the second point about them making a ruby cased vase that was decorated by Bohm, it might add some information to their output regarding blown glass not pressed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand