No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Biedermeier cut Rosa glas becher c.1835 - show and tell  (Read 3336 times)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Biedermeier cut Rosa glas becher c.1835 - show and tell
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:04 PM »
Yesterday, on my topic for German Souvenir Roemers, you provided a link for the book ‘The Legend Of Bohemian Glass' by Antonin Langhamer. On page 65 of the book, the section of smaller print talks about Josef Franz Römisch (1788-1832), a notable Bohemian glassmaker, and the ‘Römisch sample book’, showing glass decorations of the Biedermeier period.

I thought that might be interesting to see for an item of mine so have been looking. I notice he was mentioned in this topic and there are a couple of examples of the sample book to which you have referred.

I found this site http://www.kulturpool.at/plugins/kulturpool/showitem.action?itemId=111670140443&kupoContext=default that has about a dozen pages from the sample book, including the becher page shown in the glas-forschung document but not the pages in Pressglas-Korrespondenz. My link shows a page that has an example of a cut heart similar to the one on your glass, fifth one on the top row. If you search that site for ‘musterbuch Römisch’ there are the other pages to view. Thought it might be interesting if you hadn’t come across it :)

Also, the other day I noticed a similar cut heart almost half way down here https://www.kunstundglas.de/schnittglas-19-jh/
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 07:22:19 PM »
Thank you.  I will have a look and a further search just in case anything else has surfaced.

By the way, I've been reading the Langhamer book again.  I can highly recommend it.  It is difficult to find info in English on the history of this period of glass in Bohemia really.  There is much in German but I find it hard going to try and just read it.  It does cover a lot of glass from the period after which I'm not interested in, but makes excellent reading for the history of Bohemian glass development and it's up and downs through the periods.
It answers so many questions and gives a lot of that info I can find in German, in English.

The Farbenglas books by Neurwirth cover the glass in terms of manufacture, colours,  manufacturer and exhibitions so I also highly recommend those as well.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 08:16:59 PM »
I had been thinking about the Harrach book - From Neuwelt to the Whole World - 300 Years of Harrach Glass - but it is quite expensive. You seem to get a lot of use out of it, I assume you would recommend it? Ideally I would like a book on Bohemian glass that is similar to Hajdamach on British glass 1800-1914, preferably something with plenty of pictures ;D (...and not in German  ;)) I’ll have a look at the Farbenglas books you recommend, thanks.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 08:53:06 PM »
I use all the following in combination and found that just having one wasn't enough to get the detail I needed.  If I'm looking something up I get out the whole group of books.  Individually there just isn't the complete breadth of information to find what I'm looking for usually:

I would recommend the Langhamer book for historical information and detail on the engravers/decorators (the most famous ones) and manufacturers. The first 86 pages are good for me but really there is only a small section in that 86 pages I'm interested in.
 It covers the information I find when I'm looking up academic publications which have been published in German or Czech and looking for information on history of factories/makers.  So actually I could probably do with just re-reading it from cover to cover again.

The next 230 pages are not an era I collect, but it gives an excellent and detailed overview of the glass and designs for the periods and some incredibly fantastic photography.  I love looking online but for me, for some reason, seeing a picture in print seems to enable so much more detail to be seen.

I have the Das Bohmische Glas set of volumes, plus some Walter Spiegl,  and the Farbenglas 1 and 11 Walthraud Neurwirth,  and some more maker specific  books for the period 1850 and earlier etc but they're all in German.  I use them constantly though and love looking through them.  But I find it quite hard work translating the information in detail.

And of course the Neuwelt to the Whole World book which is also in English. Again, I stick to the front of the book mostly.  But it's great and I use it constantly.

The Das Bohmische Glas books band 2 is the one I use most.  Band 3 just for checking I've not got the date/timeline wrong on something.  They are in German though.  However they cover the other makers and not just Harrach so they are fantastic for that.

The Farbenglas books are amazing.  They have photographs but they are smaller books and really not about the pictures to be honest.  They are of glass that was deposited in the Technisches Museum Vienna at the time the glass was made, so it's very detailed and very specific.  They are incredible.  The detail and information on the colours, how they were made, when they were made, the glass that was exhibited in the Exhibitions of the Biedermeier period, just fantastic information.

If I had to recommend, I'd say get the Farbenglas 1 and II
And the Harrach book.
Then it's good to get the Das Bohmische Glas Band II as it covers the other makers in more detail and gives good photographic examples.
But then you need the Langhamer book for the detail and information as well. 

This is the group I use most :)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Ah, I’ll start saving :D Thanks for the detailed recommendations. Maybe I’ll start with the Farbenglas books then, as they don’t seem too expensive and then add to them later. Google translate is ok, but it takes ages and is so much more difficult than just reading and scanning English! I find you do start picking up on the words but have to make the effort to try and read the German too. My schoolboy German doesn’t help much as I absolutely hated it!

Just over a week ago I found what I’m sure is a Biedermeier Annagelb becher, similar colour to the Whitefriars V&A bowl, or the bohemian glass in the links in the topic. I’ve been having a go researching that, want to make an effort before posting for show.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 09:40:22 PM »
I tend to ask for any glass books for Christmas presents.  There is so much information in them that it's a present that keeps on giving.

I'd keep that one item to yourself and just keep searching if it were me.  It's sometimes nice to have a 'project' :)

Simon Sebag Montefiore is doing a three series programme on Austria at the moment called 'Vienna: Empire, Dynasty and Dream' - Episode 1 was on tonight and can be viewed here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0851kfd

I presume Episode 2 is next Saturday night.

I find it fascinating to watch programmes like this and relate the history of what was happening in the country at the time to glass I own that was  produced in the same time period.  I'm curious as to next weeks episode hoping it will be nearer in date to any glass I have.

This program is particularly interesting to me because it relates to the glass I love.  I have very fond memories of being in Vienna as well so it's a double win :)

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
Yes Christmas is always a possibility....but then I might get ‘How much? What do you want that for?’ ;D Also don’t like waiting once I’ve decided.

I’ll research my becher for a while although I don’t think I’ll get beyond around 1840 Bohemia, maybe I’ll tie it down when I get the books. Unfortunately some of the links on glas-forschung have stopped working. Luckily I saved the one I wanted as a pdf but it won’t let me copy the text (to paste into translate).

Thanks for the link for the program, missed it yesterday but I’ll have a look :) For me, it’s not so much about what was going on at the time antique glass was produce, but the events through history that the glass has been through - especially well used drinking glasses, not necessarily anything fancy :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 06:13:20 PM »
ah, yes, I painstakingly type out the info on Glas-forschung into google translate and keep my fingers crossed I've correctly typed.
I get the gist of it but if I really want to know I've translated it correctly I need to type it up.

Curiously I'm getting much better at reading gothic script in German.  I remember years ago when I first came across documents and reports from the 1830s  just clicking off as I thought I'd have no hope of reading them.  I surprised myself a few weeks ago :)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »
I was sure I had previously cut and paste from Glas-forschung. I’ve printed it out ready to start typing - at least that way I might remember some of the words. It’s frustrating to find once typed in and translated it is just something of no interest :)

You’ll be able to read doctor’s writing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand