No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Gold/mixed? Isle of Wight Aurene large goblet/footed pedestal bowl info please?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I couldn't state categorically that it was made by Michael Harris, and could not claim that it was if I were selling it, but personally I'd becomfortable believing that it is, if it was mine.  8) 8) 8)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi thanks for the new reply 😀 Admittedly, my knowledge is non existent about which glass master has/had what technical ability at Mdina or IOWSG, but I'm still very pleased that technically, this is good enough to have possibly been made by Micheal Harris or made by someone whose skills in these particular techniques possibly matched his 😃😃😃
I'm taking this to the 2 IOW glass stands or the Mdina/IOWSG stands that are at the glass fair if I can go. 😀 Will let you know the outcome unless someone else from IOWSG happens to see this post, I think seeing it will make so much difference, and although I've tried my best with the photos, they are a long way from perfect.
Thank you both so much for your help 😀
Chriss

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I'm sure Ron Wheeler (Artiusglass) will be interested to see it.
And Anton, of the IoWSG Museum.  :)
I won't be there.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chriss

• Members
Thanks for the names, I will show them and see what they say then 😃 👍

Offline ahremck

• Members
If one ignores the "wings" on the stem the shape seems very similar to my Mdina goblet.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chriss

• Members
Hi I thought that I would do an update on this piece as I went to the glass fair to talk to IoWSG museum or the other stall the studio had in spring and Artius glass .... neither were there ...  ;D I showed it to a number of dealers who had a collections of IOWSG on their stands, who all thought it was aurene or blue aurene, a number said they thought it was experimental, and this was a rare and early piece from the 70's and most said it was a lovely item, and shame it wasn't signed. I also showed it to Jonathan Harris who confirmed it as an early aurene chalice with every possibility that his dad made it, he confirmed his dad often never signed things as his best work would be made tomorrow  ;D He also commented that he remembered his mum used to put green florist oasis in it for flower arrangements  ;D
Thanks for all your help
 :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 ;D
I'm very pleased to hear Jonathon agrees with us; and not at all surprised to hear about Elizabeth putting flowers and oasis in them. ;)
(I'll get my coat...)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand