No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight Nightscape with a dodgy bottom  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
Isle of Wight Nightscape with a dodgy bottom
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
Hopefully its not just the result of a bad night out and a bucket of mussel and cockles.... but I've not seen a bottom like this before...... anyway....I have here what I have long thought of as a really amazingly coloured Isle of Wight Nightscape vase..... but I have never seen a piece of IOW with this kind of configuration underneath..... 4 little nipple like feet !!!!  ???? ... can anyone enlighten me please or is this unbelievably not IOW...... thanks in advance  Gareth

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight Nightscape with a dodgy bottom
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:47:24 PM »
 :)
That's IoWSG Nightscape all right, Gareth. I suspect it's possibly a large and trial-ish type one.
Very likely, in my not so humble opinion, to be the work of Michael Harris, given the complexity of the swirls/ strapping laid into it.
A large slim oval shape, I don't think, was a normal production piece.
That would explain your extra feet. Because it's not from a normal production range, but because it's something a bit special.  ;D

(Waiting for John to shoot me down now. My book is not currently reachable to check.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Isle of Wight Nightscape with a dodgy bottom
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
It looks like Nightscape or perhaps a Nightscape trial, this oval shape crops up more commonly in Flower Garden.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand