No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass ID help needed please  (Read 813 times)

Offline kismetnz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • New Zealand
Glass ID help needed please
« on: October 26, 2016, 01:04:38 AM »
Hi there everyone!
My grandmother handed down this vase/decanter to me before she passed away, over 20 years ago.  The only marking it has on the base is: 59. - although, the '9' is not completely closed at the top, making me question whether it is a 9 or a 4! Eek!  ???

I have attached a photo for you.

Many thanks,
Kylie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Glass ID help needed please
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:09:46 AM »
hello Kylie  -  welcome to the GMB.

your decanter looks to be more decorative than something intended for daily use - this style of enamelled decoration goes back a longish way into the C19, although my thoughts are that yours is more likely to be middle third of the C20 - but I could wrong - others may know better.
The number you mention is something seen often under the base of decanters  -  sometimes it matches the same number found on the stopper (but unlikely in this case), and it may also simply be a reference to the guy who decorated this piece or to the pattern.
As to origin, I'd suggest Bohemia/Czechoslovakia/Germany  -  did your Grandmother originate from the Continent of Europe, or did she holiday perhaps in that area?
Not that it will help in this instance, but it can sometimes be useful to provide the height of such pieces. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kismetnz

• Members
    • New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:05:17 PM »
Hello Paul! Thank you for your reply.
After reading your comments, I had a closer look, and there is a number on the stopper too! :-)  It's partly chipped away, but it definitely shows the number 4, so '54' it must be!

My grandmother was from New Zealand, but her husband (my Poppa) travelled a lot with the Navy, especially in WW2. He'd always bring her back special items from different countries.  They also travelled together to Norfolk Island quite a bit. 

The height of the piece is approximately 20cm.

I can't wait to find out more! :-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:45:06 AM »
quote.....................  "I can't wait to find out more! :-) .......... ;D   -  love your enthusiasm and know you will think us disappointing, but I don't believe you're going to learn a great deal more about this piece.          I'm fairly sure it's European (Continental only, as opposed to British), and produced as a decorative item rather than a utility piece, and the areas I've mentioned have been making this type of glassware in great quantities for a long time, often for the export or tourist trade.         From what you say it may easily be something brought back by your 'Poppa' from one of his travels.

I wouldn't hold your breath in the hope of much more specific information, although I'd like to be proven wrong - let's see what others think. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
It would be really perfect to have some more photographs please?
the back of the piece, a good clear close up of the enamelling, a photo of the base - thank you :)

And you could look up Schachtenbach as a start.  You might find something similar in terms of decoration.

Are the horizontal bands black enamel btw?
And at 20cm it might be some kind of cologne or perfume rather than a decanter perhaps? 

m

Offline kismetnz

• Members
    • New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
You might be on to something about the Schachtenbach range! Wow!  It definitely looks to be of that era and make. Thank you!

I will take some more photos soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand