No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Glass Michael Harris Fish Vase ?  (Read 7349 times)

Offline jimbo1

• Members
Re: Mdina Glass Michael Harris Fish Vase ?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 10:30:01 PM »

Hi,
I have seen and handled this vase before and the signature is not right. Thought it to be a post Harris example.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »
I would just like to update this post. I have recently had contact with IOG and Ron Wheeler. Ron Wheeler had seen the vase in person last September and confirmed with Timothy Harris that the vase was post Harris.

Ron Wheeler thought that Joseph Said probably made the vase but no certainty.

I have told them that should I ever decide to sell the vase I would have the base polished before selling so that it then exists as an interesting genuine piece of Mdina with no inference that it is by Michael Harris.

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
 :) It is, efffectively, damage, so I think that is the best thing to do, although some folk might disagree and would call it restored or repaired and want a discount for that.
It's a difficult decision, but having it photographed and illustrated here along with that information does help to keep everything above board.  :)
I've been in a similar position, with a Lollipop which had a manufacturing flaw removed (a great gob of glass had landed on the finished item accidentally and spoiled it).
I thought I wouldn't be selling it, so it wouldn't matter, but somebody persuaded me to part with it, so the whole story had to come out.
Fortunately, there were records here to confirm what had gone on and the buyer was  happy with my actions.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »
Looking back at the listing, totally agree that the sig is fake. This has been made with good deal skill and considering the colours it would have to be made by Vicente Boffo or Joseph Said. I think it is more likely to be JS as, he made fish type vases and VB didnt, JS liked doing all the good stuff at this stage so again I think JS also VB top tended to be more straight tops and this is very sloping. Got to be JS, although Boffo liked to do the trailed stuff :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline mdina glass

• Members
    • Mdina glass.
    • South Yorkshire.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 02:42:43 PM »
I agree as above most poss made by JS but as to the sig it is defo a fake I have seen many fakes over the years and have at time bought them to destroy them to stop them getting into the open market to deceive other,s.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
That's a bit drastic and destroys a possibly decent bit of glass made by somebody else.
I agree, it's difficult.
But I just see some scratches on the bottom that are deliberate damage, but not in any important place.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand