No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass sword thoughts.  (Read 621 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Glass sword thoughts.
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
Whats left is 3 foot long with some battle damage, can't see any others online or in the books ive looked through.

Guessing a Victorian novelty  maybe?.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Glass sword thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 07:06:53 PM »
aah that's very lovely despite the damage. Very sentimental somehow.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »
Im guessing hardly any have survived being so fragile and i bet kids loved playing with them.
Chris Parry

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 07:53:44 PM »
These sorts of things were made by apprentices and carried in the guild parades

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 08:26:34 PM »
Can't see the point myself,  ::) sorry, bad joke, interesting piece, difficult to display though  ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 09:45:02 PM »
The air twist is interesting - it twists to the right.  I'm sure I've read something about them twisting to the left but perhaps that is only for airtwist Georgian pieces?  something like that anyway, so it's interesting it twists to the right (well, it is to me anyway  ;D )

Lovely handle as well. 
m

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 06:53:50 AM »
Lovely item, especially the handle, thanks for sharing.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 07:10:56 AM »
It could be a survival from something like the Manchester town parade of 1832, always wondered if any of the elaborate items described survived, the sort of things you would not throw away, but then again would break too easy - like a glass wig.

Transcription from a document written by my 4x great-grandfather, supplied to the organisers of the parade:

A man bearing a Silk Flag motto W. Rex on the reverse “Success to the Glass Trade.”
Glass Blowers with glass hats decorated with ribbons & appropriate mottos inscribed viz “Old England For Ever” “Abolishion of all monopolies” “Success to the Town & Trade of Manchester” - accoutred with glass Swords.

Two large goblets carried by men adorned with rich superb spun glass wigs, one of them containing 10 Gallons - inscribed with the sentiment “10 Gallons bumper to the Happiness of the People” the other containing 7 Gallons with the popular inscription “Earl Grey and his Majestys Ministers” emblazoned in the centre with the Dove carrying the olive branch and on the reverse side “Old England For Ever”.

Two immensely large Lobby Lamps surmounted with Globes Silvered carried by men in Glass Wigs - one tastefully cut Vine & Grapes and the other beautifully painted Rose Thistle and Shamrock.

Fish Globe and Birdcage with a canary bird & fish swimming around.

Two large globes Silvered both ornamented with the crown and sceptre and on the reverse side of one “Long Life to the King” and on the other “Peace Reform & Retrenchment” - several glass crowns ornamented with neat silvered globes carried by the apprentices followed by the glass cutters with a Union Jack carried before them - 3 a breast each carrying a Blue Wand decorated with Red & Blue Ribbon bearing rich & various displays of ornamented glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand