No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kilner Brothers  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Eric70

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • U.S.
Kilner Brothers
« on: November 10, 2016, 07:28:27 PM »
  Hello,

I am new here....I do a bit of bottle digging...I live in northern Maine in the U.S. right close to the border with New Brunswick, Canada.....a fellow collector/digger friend of mine dug up a glass lid with what appears to be a KBT monogram...while trying to research a little I figured out first of all that it may be the Kilner Bros monogram and that search lead me here to this post below from a fellow member back in 2004:

Kilner Jars were made by a Yorkshire firm of glass bottlemakers called Kilner, who operated from 1842 when John Kilner founded the first company until 1937 when they went bankrupt. At the bankruptcy sale in 1937 the patent rights to the "Kilner Jar" were bought by United Glass Bottle company and also the rights to the very similar "Mason" jar that had been made by Kilner.  They went on making the Kilner and Mason jars.

The various names of the Kilner companies were:
John Kilner & Co, Castleford, Yorkshire, 1842-44
John Kilner & Sons, Wakefield, Yorkshire, 1847-57
Kilner Brothers Glass Co., Thornhill Lees, Yorkshire, 1857-73 also at Conisbrough, Yorkshire, 1863-1873
Kilner Brothers Ltd., Thornhill Lees, Yorksire 1873-1920 also at Conisbrough, Yorkshire, 1873-1937.

Hope this is helpful, Angela

My question is, can we get more of an approximate date of manufacture of the lid with this particular monogram, or being that it is Thornhill do we have to just use the broad dates between 1857-1937?...thanks in advance for any help here..

I have attempted to attach a photo of the lid by my computer skills are pretty weak..

Eric

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Kilner Brothers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
Hello and welcome to the GMB. I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but you could try joining another forum that deals specifically with bottles:

http://www.britishbottleforum.co.uk/

Hope this helps.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
But before you go off, I must say hello and welcome to the GMB. I am also Canadian (Calgarian) and my husband and I spent time in your part of the world in the summer. After sometime in Nova Scotia, we drove through New Brunswick and then to Augusta Maine where he took part in a narrow gauge model train convention. Then drove a slightly different route back to Nova Scotia and came home. God you live in a stunning part of the country!

Carolyn

Offline Eric70

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • U.S.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:37:25 PM »
Thank you for the replies here....David, I think I'll take you up on that suggestion and try and see if i can't find an answer on that bottle forum...........Carolyn, great to see that you've had the opportunity to check out the area up here......we're near to Houlton in Maine which is across the border from Woodstock, NB......I'll still check back here from time to time to see if perhaps someone may have an answer, as well, if i do find an answer in the bottle forum I'll post it here...thanks again..

Eric

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand