No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight with quartz rock  (Read 1778 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Paperweight with quartz rock
« on: November 14, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
Mystery paperweight for ID :)

Unusual piece showing sort of a rock formation and some green around it. Appr. 8 cm wide, 6 cm high. Ground, unpolished base.

I am quite sure this was made using quartz rock and sand (there is even loose sand in some areas at the base).
The theme reminds me a little bit of the Baccarat "rocky landscape" paperweights, though quite a different execution.

My best guess would be "post-classic" period, but I am clueless to where it might come from.
I couldn't really find much in my internet searches to compare it with; here is an "antique" weight with similar stones
>> https://www.thepaperweightcollection.com/products/antique-art-glass-paperweight-encased-rocks-mossy-lichen-stones

Thanks for any help!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Paperweight with quartz rock
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »
Polite bump :)

Any thoughts about age / origin of this weight?

Thanks,
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand