No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strange Whitbread tankard? Any beer experts out there? ID = Dartington  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
I've been looking at this strange but fabulous shape thing for a few weeks now, languishing in a charity shop cabinet, so finally bought it.  I thought it would make a great but unusual bulb vase, but the neck is too narrow unfortunately.  Anyway, its etched Whitbread ESTd. 1742, so I'm guessing it might be some kind of commemorative thing, although nothing similar has turned up by Googling.

Does anyone have any ideas what it actually is?  It can't be a jug as there is no spout.  I can't imagine anyone drinking from it.  I tried water, and its not easy ::).  It holds 1 pt. comfortably in the bottom section.  "Whitbread" to me means brewery, so I automatically think of beer ;D but I see that it is now a multi-national company which includes Costa Coffee etc.etc.etc. so it might not be for ale.

Its really well made and I was half expecting to see a Dartington Glass mark somewhere on the base.

I'd love to know what it is meant to be used for.  Any ideas please?
TIA :)

Anne E.B

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Strange Whitbread tankard? Any beer experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 10:58:18 PM »
could it be a modern form of  a puzzle jug - sort of shortened yard of ale - beer everywhere when you try to drink from it. ;D        But seriously, no idea, and most unusual.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »
Need to wear a wetsuit next time I try it out ;D
I'll contact Whitbread to see if they can throw some light on it and will get back with any info.
Anne E.B

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:47:30 AM »
Its really well made and I was half expecting to see a Dartington Glass mark somewhere on the base.

Spot on Anne, it was made as a commission by Dartington, it is shown on page 160, Dartington Glass the First Twenty Years. Described as "Beer Timer Tankard", Ltd Edition made for the staff at Whitbread Breweries.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:50:25 AM »
Was it to discourage getting boozed up at work, perhaps?

Although digging back to memories of my boozing days, wasn't it impossible to get even mildly tiddly on Whitbread?
It was a big "avoid" as far as I remember. Utterly useless. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: Strange Whitbread tankard? Any beer experts out there? ID = Dartington
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
Thanks John. Mystery solved :-*
It would certainly act as a deterrent Sue ;D 
Such a shame I couldn't use it as a bulb vase.  I'm using a Dartington square sunflower/daisy vase at one at the moment. The bulb is growing nicely, but the roots are squashed. The rest of my bulbs are in proper bulb vases in various stages of growth. I'll may be post pictures when they bloom. 
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand