No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Taussaunt Glass question.  (Read 6111 times)

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Taussaunt Glass question.
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:37:42 PM »
Another boot fair find that I thought was a powder bowl.  Now knowing a little more I realise it's bigger than others I've seen.  I saw an identical one for sale on ebay but the seller knew nothing about it.  Like me he assumed it was Art Deco because of the colour.

Could it be modern, or some sort of tableware?  Again any help gratefully received.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Re: Taussaunt Glass question.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
I hope it's OK to add to this thread another bowl I've bought on ebay.  The style is so similar with the domed base, blocky feet, lid detail also the diameter is the same.  It is a very dark purple, not black as it appears in the photos.   Probably just coincidence but this one was from a seller in Inverness.  The seller mentioned above with the blue one was from Glasgow.

Does anyone know any Scottish glass-makers who made or makes this sort of bowl?  I'm still not sure if these bowls are really Art Deco or modern revival, tableware or powder bowls.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:12:50 PM »
I put a bowl on here somewhere in satin glass with a jester head that has the same base I think.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 11:24:40 AM »
Thanks for the link, someone mentions "strange what turns up in suburban Kent"  Ramsgate in Kent is where I am, on the coast and I found the blue bowl at a boot-fair just down the road at Westgate.  So it does seem reasonable to accept them as powder boxes?

If I ever get time I want to visit the Kent Libraries Archive.  Among the papers they have there are the records from a departmental store, now out of business, that features "heavily" photos of early - mid 20th century stock.  In the meantime I'll see what I can find searching for Dermay / Taussant. 

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
With the help of a member on the Trinket Sets section I think this bowl is Taussaunt / Dermay, or at least the top is.

I've checked the Whitmyer "Bedroom and Bathroom Glassware" book and everywhere else I can think of but still can't find a match for the bowl.  This finial and various others is always shown with a twelve footed bowl with an undecorated side.

Can anyone confirm a sighting of any other bowls with this faceted side and four feet please?

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:10 PM »
As happens so often, to me at least, while looking for one thing I find something completely different.

This time while trying to put a name or number to an Ankerglas-Bernsdorf vase and looking through the 1937 / 38 catalogue on Pamela Wessendorfs  Pressglas site I found what looks exactly like the bowl I started this thread about.

I'm sorry I can't do links so will type the details.

Seite 37.  Catalogue number 663/4.

The title of the page is  "Eine Auswahl schooner Dosen fur SuBwerk u. Geback.       

The wording under the bowl is "Sehr hubsche Dose auf FuBchen."  (the capital "B"s are a German letter that doesn't seem to be an English "B")

At least I now know it's Bernsdorf although as it's in amongst what look like sweet dishes it's probably Tableware rather than from a Dressing Table.

Does anyone know enough German to translate what is written, please

Many thanks, Dave.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 02:47:38 AM »
Translates roughly as "A selection of nice containers for confectionery and pastries" and  "Very pretty box on feet"

Link to catalogue page is HERE for you :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »
Thanks for the translation Anne, much appreciated.  One less on my list of unidentified pieces.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
Looks like your blue lidded pot has a definite ID as German Bernsdorf pattern 663/4 1937/1938 Catalogue, well done!
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand