No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Pressed Glass Celery. ID = Tutbury Glass Co., Rd 170914  (Read 1807 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Large Pressed Glass Celery. ID = Tutbury Glass Co., Rd 170914
« on: November 29, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
A large and heavy pressed glass celery vase, part frosted with stars. Very much like Percival Yates and Vickers from the mid 1860's, although the stars are not quite the same.
The celery has a date lozenge but not very easy to make much sense of it.
The year could be a W for 1865, C for the month of January. The day and parcel could be 11 as they look very much in the same style as the class 111.
If the year letter was N that would be a match for The Tutbury Glass Co for 11th Jan 1864 parcel 11.

Height 9.75"
Weight 1750gm.

Thanks for any help.

Roy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Large Pressed Glass Celery for ID
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
you are correct Roy  -  it is Tutbury Glass Co. and the design, as Registered originally, is simply for a geometric pattern of stars - there is no celery vase shown in the original drawing.
No time to post the pix etc. now, hopefully will do so later today.                 The Registration No. is 170914 - but then you knew that didn't you Roy ;D         Cheers.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:16:46 PM »
National Archive drawing now attached.                I had some notion we'd had this one on he Board previously, but I can't see anything in the Glass Registration archive.               Can now be moved to British I'd assume, and would suggest the subject heading now includes the Rd. No.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:28:45 PM »
Nice (rare and important) find, Roy. Presumably only the second documented piece (and shape) in this pattern.

The design has indeed been discussed in some detail on the GMB previously - see:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49695.msg305043.html#msg305043.

Here are some photos of the pedestal bowl (presumably a sugar bowl) for permanent pictorial reference.

I think it was discussed before the GMB RD database was started, so I have possibly missed it when adding RDs. I will check the database this evening and rectify any omissions.

Fred

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »
Thank you Paul and Fred

For confirming that it was Tutbury Glass Co.

When I first posted it the lozenge did seem to be very confusing and I was trying to match it up without my Slack book which is packed away until after Christmas so was struggling. Luckily I had a 2nd unread copy of Slacks book which gave me a clue that it may have been Tutbury but I still did not really think it was.

I did google Tutbury  but only came up with cut glass but failed to use the GMB search.

Fred there must be a matching creamer / jug for the bowl you bought.

Thanks again Roy

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Roy, it's taken just over four years to see the celery vase, so I'm hoping that someone posts pics of the matching creamer in a somewhat shorter interval.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »
So I had posted that Kew Registration before, thought I remembered something  -  no matter, twice is better than never. :)

P.S.    I'll do the other Kew items, from today, tomorrow p.m. some time.  (what rubbish grammar that must be). :o

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Large Pressed Glass Celery. ID = Tutbury Glass Co., Rd 170914
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »
Not really seeing the dimensions, but it seems large for a sugar bowl. Might it be a candy bowl instead? Did they do candy bowls back in the day?

Carolyn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:05:20 PM »
Believe me UK sugar bowls were huge in those days.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:27 PM »
they were big in those days, I suppose because sugar was so popular  -  and heavy too*, especially when you had a lidded example.
The dimensions of this one are given in Fred's link - it's in his first post of that thread where he shows a picture of the sugar bowl  -  14.5 cms. tall, and with a top rim diameter of 13.5 cms.
Looking through S. & F., I see there's a stemmed example of a sugar basin and the height is given as 8.1/2 inches (c. 215 cms.) - it has a lid and an under-plate.

Don't think the word candy had yet reached the shores of the U.K. in 1864 ;)

*  it wasn't the sugar that was heavy you understand - just the glass ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand