No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: tall pressed vases with fins. ID = Rindskopf  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
tall pressed vases with fins. ID = Rindskopf
« on: December 08, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »
I thought that finding a factory at least wasn't beyond my abilities  -  obviously it was...........     would have put money on this being Czechoslovakian, but having trawled much on both of Pamela's illustrated catalogues etc., all I have is a headache.                  Tall and chunky - possibly a high ish failure rate when pressing due to the gaps near the base, but could be very wrong on that  -  9.25 inches tall (235 mm) in height.          No marks and no bird bath base, so perhaps that should be telling me it's not Czech., and unusual, I thought, to find a pair.
There are any number of vases and some other small pieces that have some degree of deco styling in the way of fins or similar, so a common sort of design feature in the 1930 - 40 period, which is probably where these originated, and imo almost certainly from the Continent.
All suggestions gratefully received, and thanks for looking.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: tall pressed vases with fins.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:24:33 AM »
Its not in my copy of Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass CD-Rom database, although there are several what I call rocket vases with fins/wings and tripod legs, although I'm sure you already know that.  Yours is far more elaborate and weirdly wonderful.  I would have guessed Czech too...
Anne E.B

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
thanks for giving these some time Anne  ........ apologies, I should have said that I also went through Marcus Newhall's book, and the CD Rom catalogues    -    one of my pet complaints is that folk don't say if they've looked in so and so books etc., which can save other people time in searching. :)
I also forgot to mention wear  -  of which there is a considerable amount on both  -  so it does seem fairly safe to say that they date to some time in the '30s or '40s.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »
No probs.  I personally find it beneficial scanning through images as I always find something else, and it beats watching footie on the t.v. :P
Anne E.B

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
Nice find, Paul!
Rindskopf 1934 (ca. 1936?), page 158 - pattern # 8340

This catalogue came with Pressglas-Korrespondenz 2004-1-03  , however, this page is not visible online I'm afraid.

Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: tall pressed vases with fins. ID = Rindskopf
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:37:59 AM »
sincere thanks as always for your time Pamela -  in the flesh these things are really quite impressive  ...............   well, at least I was fairly accurate with the date ;D
Either one or both can be yours for the museum, if you're at all interested - although together they probably represent a substantial postal charge.
As they're rather decorative  -  in the deco sense  -  I'll probably keep them for a while  -  but do let me know some time if you're interested, and thanks again for your help. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:30:01 PM »
great photo - is this your new lightbox?
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:24:30 PM »
well, it's fairly new m............   it's not a light box as such tho............  it's my effort at copying Dirk's 'heat formed opaque acrylic right angled shaped thingy'.             The light source is placed either behind or underneath or both, and since the acrylic is opaque then the light is diffused and avoids glare and bouncy reflections etc..........  or at least that's the theory  -  and since the light is diffused you can place the source much closer.
Probably wrongly I bent the acrylic at too much of a sharp right angle which shows up as a 'horizon line' in the photos - am sure you wouldn't get this if the bend was curved softly rather than sharply.

here is the link to show Dirk's suggestions  -    http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,62864.msg352891.html#msg352891

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »
yes I saw the thread :)
It works really well despite your angling it sharply - I couldn't make one. The pics are great.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
bending the acrylic really was a pita - took a long time and I didn't really get it right  -  but the results are passable.          Perhaps you need to find a man who owns a hot air gun and can bend things. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand