No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What do we know of Graham Clark?  (Read 5799 times)

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
What do we know of Graham Clark?
« on: April 29, 2016, 12:37:23 AM »
I've had 2 pieces of his work a while now but never found any reference to him on internet.

What I have is a bowl and vase, both clearly signed and dated with month [Nov] and year, being 82. I've seen some paperweights recently on eBay, to me nothing special and of limited interest other than who was this fellow. Vendor stated in listing "Melbourne".

I'm assuming he was a student at Adelaide Jam Factory, but did he continue in the art craft after the early 1980's?
So it goes.

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
Re: What do we know of Graham Clark?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 01:32:50 AM »
Like you, I have several small pieces by him, all from 1982. His works are quite accomplished for their time. The only info on him I have is from the Ausglass magazine in 1981, which showed Graham and Merilyn Clark as members in Eltham, Victoria. He is not on the Jam Factory list of alumni. Otherwise, equally a mystery to me.

Here are images of some of the items I have.

Trevor 
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline misha

• Members
    • In the Hills of Melbourne - Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:04:23 AM »
Thanks for that info on what you know.

The bowl I have is clear with wispy traces of yellow tone throughout and irregular form.

Vase is clear[sort of] with red tones.  Can't say all that consistent wall thickness which lead me to believe less refined trainee made.

Paperweights [you probably saw] were smallish size, entrained bubbles. One had yellow tone, the other blue.

Must get that camera working, hey.

So it goes.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:23:06 PM »
I too have two items - a small vase signed Graham Clark 82, and a paperweight signed GC similar enough for me to be confident he made it.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 12:13:25 AM »
I found a mention of Graham Clark in the  Ausglass No.4 Newsletter 1981, where he is listed as a member in Victoria along with (presumably) his wife:

Graham Clark
21 Brougham St., Eltham, 3095. <------ now a cafe
Merilyn Clark
Same as above.
(the N.F. means that he hadn't yet paid his dues for the year or some such).

Ausglass newsletter archive is online at Tasmania Uni here: http://eprints.utas.edu.au/7081/ - I've not checked through other issues for mentions but it might give you a place to start. (NB I did use the search box on the site and it does not show up anything so the newsletter contents don't appear to be indexed.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand