No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Line cut unsigned small clear vase, Wirkkala? Finnish? ID = Holmegaard  (Read 2018 times)

Offline ScandinavianGlassaholic

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scandinavian artglass
    • Denmark
I have this small vase with line cut decoration, that reminds me of work by Wirkkala, but it is not signed, and I haven't been able to find a similar one anywhere so far. The vase is 9cm tall and fairly heavy. Suggestions?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Line cut unsigned small clear vase, Wirkkala? Finnish?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:02:42 AM »
Interesting vase, the cutting reminds me of two of the vases in this thread (at the start and end):
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45009.0.html

John

• Members
    • Scandinavian artglass
    • Denmark
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:40:06 AM »
Interesting vase, the cutting reminds me of two of the vases in this thread (at the start and end):
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45009.0.html

John

Interesting! Possible Czech was not high on my list of possibilities, but will surely look more into it. Thanks John!  :)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:16:50 PM »
You needed to look a little closer to home - it's a Per Lütken design from 1946 (before Holmegaard started signing their glass regularly).

• Members
    • Scandinavian artglass
    • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
You needed to look a little closer to home - it's a Per Lütken design from 1946 (before Holmegaard started signing their glass regularly).

Oh my! I had no idea that he made designs like that! I assume you mean these: http://hardernet.dk/Artglass/Krukke_0000250-Per_Lutken_HG_1946.htm

Wow! Thanks alot!  ;D They must be kinda rare, I've never seen them before.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Line cut unsigned small clear vase, Wirkkala? Finnish? ID = Holmegaard
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:00:53 AM »
I had a set of 'Mercur' glasses from the same period, with the same cut design as your small vase, which is what made me go directly to the 'Glas Er Liv' book on my shelf.

Lütken did a few cut designs in his early days at Holmegaard - they're still out there, but often get overlooked because they're not signed and/or typical of his later, more famous, designs. But they're often very very nice pieces of glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand