No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki Glass Collector  (Read 5023 times)

Offline penville1966

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
Riihimaki Glass Collector
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
Hello,

I just joined the Glass Message Board, and I wanted to say hello to everyone interested in Scandanavian Glass, especially Riihimaki Glass.

Although I have been collecting glass for over 20 years. I have only been interested in Riihimaki glass for about 1 year. So I am a complete novice. I am now on the prowl to add as many new pieces to my collection as possible :-)

If anyone knows where I should be looking or going please let me know (I know ebay).

Best wishes to everyone who reads this,

Paul

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Riihimaki Glass Collector
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:02:50 PM »
 :)
Welcome to the board!
Do use the search facilty to have a good browse around here, I think you'll find loads.

Are you aware of this website?

http://www.designlasi.com/en
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline penville1966

• Members
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:34:50 PM »
Hello Chopin-Liszt,

Wow what a quick reply!

Yes I am aware of designlasi. It seems to have most of the designs that were produced by Riihimaki. What would have been good is to know how many colour variations there were in some of the model numbers or name

Picking one design, how many colours was the chimney range made in? 10, 12 more? Even Kehra, are there just 3 colours (clear, green and grey) or are there more? What I would really like (and I know this isn't possible) is to see all the makes and colour variations in a book. In the same way you can find with stamps. It will give you a chart showing every colour variation that the 20p stamp was produced in, in that particular year. Then when you get the item, you can then cross it off your list

As for the search, are you refering to using Bing.com and just typing Riihimaki? Because what I am looking for is to add pieces to my collection, without paying over the odds for them. The other possibility (as I did earlier this year) to buy a collection of Riihimaki glass from another collector.

So any help or suggestions would be warmly received!

Paul

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »
Just type Rihimaki into the search box at the top right hand corner of the page here, in the forum for Scandanavian glass.

I don't think such records as you are wanting actually exist.  :)
Those are the sorts of things that get built here though, through co-operation and sharing of information and finds. Inbetween all that, we get to know each other too. :)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 02:06:04 AM »
Hello Paul, good to here of your interest in Riihimaki glass. Over the years I have collected quite a bit of that type of glass.
Not sure how this works about swapping email addresses on the board maybe the moderators could let me know?
Which part of the uk do you live?
all the best,
Tim

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 04:42:14 AM »
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
 :)
Essi, you can click on the envelope under Penvilles' username which will allow you to send him a message. From that he will get your email address and can reply to you privately.
You have not enabled the envelope bit under your name for anybody to contact you, but you don't have to if you don't want to. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
By the way Paul I run a Scandinavian glass collectors group on Facebook .  I happened to mention that that included Finland, and was promptly told that Finland was NOT part of Scandinavia.   I responded with in my eyes it was near enough.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 11:55:53 PM »
Scandinavia includes Finland? Of course it does ... just take a look at the GMB "country forum titles".  :D

Hmm, seems to depend on who you talk to, or which reference you use. Even Iceland (and sometimes Greenland & the Faroe Islands) is said by some folk to be part of Scandinavia - but maybe just for "cultural, historical, and political" reasons, as advised by www.dictionary.com
KevinH

Offline penville1966

• Members
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »
Wow 3 replies!!! Thank you!!!! : :D

Here is a boring bit about me!

I have been collecting glass for over 20 years. I am not (wasn't) into collecting any one make or designer.  I bought what I liked or I thought was cheap. This ranges from small Whitefriars Beak vases, teardrop vases (of which I have about 200), to whatever took my interest. So I have about 1,000 pieces of glass and that included about 5-6 pieces of Riihimaki.

Then one day I was bored and by chance I saw a picture of 3 shelves of olive green Riihimaki glass, and I thought WOW! I was totally hooked and I thought I would love to have a collection like that. (I am sure someone will know the picture I saw).

Then by chance I got into contact with someone 2/3 months ago who had a collection of Riihimaki glass (200 pieces), which he said he was willing to sell. I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss. So I bought the collection! In fact since then I have already added about 20 more pieces to the collection including 3 Polaris, 2 Kehra, 2 Paraati, 3 Puisto, and I think another 5 or 6 others. But I have already lost count

My aim for 2017 is to buy 200 more piece of Riihimaki! (no duplicates to what I have already got) and to unbox all the pieces i have got and put them up on display at home. So that is a bit of info about me! (boring)!!!

So in order Essi (Tim) I live in near Tunbridge Wells in East Sussex. IF this isn't against he rules of the forum, look for Birdbrook Farm Shop in Stonegate then you have found me (if it is against the rules SORRY)! :-(

Ahremck (Ross) Thank you for the list Ross The first one I have tried to contact by email but they don't reply also and I find it VERY annoying you only find out a piece has been sold once you click on the item. Also their catalogue makes you wade through pages of china. BUT the fact they don't reply is the most annoying part as there is no point in trying to buy a piece to then find the shipping costs more than the item. I think i have looked at a couple of others on the list 20th Century Glass  and??? BUT I might have used them while looking for other bits of glass and not Riihimaki. I will have a look at the other links you sent me (Thank you)!!

Here is a question for the group. How many different pieces of glass do you think were made by Riihimaki. in design AND colour variation?  So just picking on the Kehra, how many colours was it made in? then go through the other pieces like Polaris, and vase 1561, vase 1562 etc? I know no one will have the correct answer, BUT it might make people think :-)

Thanks once again for the replies, and if I don't reply to your message for a few days, its because I might be doing things to some of my ducks on our farm! :-)

Best Wishes,

Paul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand