No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki Glass Collector  (Read 4983 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Riihimaki Glass Collector
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 09:25:30 PM »
How many... that is a really tough question, too tough for me!

Some shapes were made in a variety of colours others in only a few, the first photo shows many of the colours typically seen but that shape can also be found in a dark almost cobalt blue - so at least eight in total. I have only seen those three colours for the shape in the second photo but I would not be surprised if there were others made.

John

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
Hi Paul. Give www.haybarnglass.co.uk a try. Worth dropping him (Chris) an email with what you want.

Offline penville1966

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »
Hello Marc 1976,

Thanks for the link. I have sent them an email to see what they have got.

Regards,

Paul

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 09:01:02 PM »
Hello Paul, there is a very comprehensive book about riihimaki glass, called riihimaen lasi. glass from riihimaki.riihimaen lasi oy 1910 1990
published by the finnish glass museum. I cant find an isbn number for it. I don't own a copy of this book but I have read it a few times when I have visited finland.
your task to collect a lot of riihimaki glass is immense. look at aurinko pullot on huuto.net.fi so many colours and sizes.
and aimo okkolin cut glass is a whole field on its own.
I have collected all types of riihimaki glass over the years and loved it . it takes a brave person to try and collect complete ranges but all the best luck its fun!
Tim

Offline penville1966

• Members
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 07:35:26 PM »
Hello Tim,

Thanks for your message.

I have heard of this book and I think the ISBN for the book is:-

isbn 978-9525240153 (I am sure someone will correct me if this is not the book you were refering to)

I have tried to find it (looking online second hand book sellers). But without any luck. Hopefully someone will have a copy and scan the pages for everyone to see.

As for collecting every piece ever made by Riihimaki , that will NEVER happen. Because until you know or have a definative list of all the models that were made and all the colour variations that were made in that model, you will never know how many variations Riihimaki made  in total. Then of course there are the one off pieces, that might have been made as a sample, but never went into production, some of which will never be found, or if they were found people will wrongly attribute the piece as being made by...Orrefors, or Murano etc! which not only happens with glass but with paintings!

Just out of interest how many piece of Riihimaki do the people on this board have in their collection? It would be nice to see a picture of your collections, but I know some people might prefer not to show their collection to others. So having the number of pieces in your collection will be fine!

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and I hope everyone on this Riihimaki Board has a great and happy 2017!

Regards,

Paul

Offline penville1966

• Members
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
Hello Tim,

I had a look at this Huuto Web site, but I couldn't find aurinko pullot.

Is there an English translation button on this site? as I cant seem to find it. Also there are a couple of items I like but I need to know if the seller would be willing to post the items to me (and if so how much it would cost). I also see from Wikipedia that they don't accept Paypal as a payment method so I am guessing that payment will have to be done by a BACS transfer (which costs £9.50 per hit) ouch!

Any help or answers would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
Sorry Paul, should have given the English name which is  "sun bottle" by Helena Tynell. Its the uranium coloured one in the first picture of my post.
All the best for 2017 to all the people on this site.
Tim 

Offline penville1966

• Members
    • Riihimaki Riihimaen
    • England
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Hello Tim

Happy New Year!

Justy out of interest what would you expect to pay for the square vase shaped piece you have got  521.jpeg as someone recently offered me this piece, BUT I thought they were asking too much for it.

Regards,

Paul

P.S. I am still trying to find or see if there is button to read the Huuto site in English

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand