No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harbridge Art Cut wine glasses for show.  (Read 1146 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Harbridge Art Cut wine glasses for show.
« on: December 24, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
 :)
I cannot find anything remotely similar on the web, the closest is other wineglasses with a similar wide conical shaped bowl, but with completely different stems. (thick and triangular, in keeping with the shape of the bowl.)

No markings, but one with its label.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Harbridge Art Cut wine glasses for show.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 07:05:59 PM »
Rotten stuff to try to photograph. :P

The rims have the typical Harbridge v-notches in them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »
Harbridge material is rather thin on the ground at the best of times - these are a good find and marvelous that there is at least on with a label, otherwise we'd be lost for an attribution.              In Nigel's booklet he has simply added the comment..........  "Items were marked with an acid stamp to the base".                            Harbridge were certainly very keen on this sort of cut decoration on the rims of their vases, but then so too were Stuart and Thomas Webb, but in the main it looks like Harbridge carried on with this feature long after the other two houses had dropped what was obviously a fashion thing.          With Stuart and T/Webb their heyday for notching the rims of vases etc. was during the first quarter of the C20.

Cut decoration right on the rim of drinking glasses  -  as opposed to machine acid etching or wheel engraving  -  looks to have been almost non-existent prior to c. 1900, and it never seems to have been that common even in the C20.       Possibly something to do with being unpleasant for the tongue during the act of drinking. 

Clear glass can be difficult to photograph, but having taken lessons from Dirk my pix have now improved vastly ;D

Bit late for me now - tiring day with the grandchildren - so will send you a PM tomorrow re your other question. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »
The notches are not sharp, I haven't washed them yet so don't know what they'd be like for drinking from. I suspect they would not bcause any problems.
They're shallow, I think the lips would cover them without leaving spaces for leakage.
And without the label, I would not have had a clue what they were. :)

Looking at the very wide triangular shaped bowl though, I'm not sure they're not just very large martinis. They don't look right for wine, but I can see olives on sticks looking at home.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand