No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands  (Read 27173 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 10:50:10 PM »
quote  ..............  "That'll learn me"  ...         gosh, dahling, such a working class expression ;D ;D ;D ;D   must be all that west country air Maureen ;) ;) 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »
Arrr, that be I, working class  ;D  and proud of it.  Both grandparents in the mills.

Sorry, the Frederic Lewis ink bottle design has made me laugh out loud - the picture of the registration is very 'self-important' in it's colours and presentation, then your eyes are drawn to what I expected to be a very elaborate design but is in fact  ... a bottle-shaped bottle lol.
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 05:23:57 PM »
In reply #24, Paul said ...
P.S.   sorry, can't seem to add the web link, but name is ...  Historic Glass Bottle Identification & Information Website  -  there is a section on ink wells.

The main site address is: https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm

For the section on ink wells, use: https://sha.org/bottle/household.htm and then scroll down to the internal links for details on Ink Wells (the internal links include a space character, which does not work with withing a general url).
KevinH

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
quote from Carolyn  ...........  "I have a lovely example in stirling silver  ........."  gosh - that sounds unique Carolyn, and should be mine I guess  ;D ;D

Not on your Nellie, Paul. :-) Here is the very tarnished truth...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 06:45:13 PM »
thanks Kevin - obviously the gremlins at work on that occasion  -  I have added that link in its correct form previously.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »
Hi Carolyn  -  it's a great looking piece, and surprised really that the glass ink container should be rather fragile looking  -  as you can see from most of the ink well designs here, they are of a more robust appearance usually.

I'd imagine that STERLING :) base to be of some reasonable weight, so might keep the family from the workhouse for a few hours if penury beckons. ;D

As a matter of interest, what are the hall marks  -  is the date letter C19??

P.S.    This I would never have believed  -  the expression 'Not on your Nellie' is apparently derived from  ................  "cockney rhyming slang for not on your life. nelly rhymes with smelly, which leads to smelly breath, breath leads to breathing to keep alive, leading to not on your life"

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
In anticipation of a move of the 'inky' RDs to the 'correct' thread:

George Bell & Co., RD 107070, registered 15 November 1856 - Parcel 2. Registrant's address given as 2 Wellington Street in the Parish of St. Lukes, Middlesex. "An ammended design for an improvement in the shape or configuration of a glass ink bottle as shown". Class 3: glass.

This seems to be the only online record at TNA for a  glass registered design by this registrant.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »
Benton & Stone "Improved Crinoline Ink Bottle with pen rack in glass attached to bottle", RD 135384, registered 10 November 1860 - Parcel 7.  Registrants given as George Benton of Birmingham and James Henry Stone of Birmingham trading as Benton and Stone.

There is a birth record for James Henry Stone, born 1829 in Gt. Brook Street, Aston, christened 26 December 1829 at St. Philip, Birmingham. Then a marriage record on 14 December 1853 between James Henry Stone and Elizabeth BENTON in Aston Juxta Birmingham - perhaps Elizabeth Benton is a relative of George Benton.

The only 'Benton & Stone' I can find in the Birmingham trade directories so far is at
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Benton_and_Stone
with a company founding date of 1814. An 1892 trade advert gives a company address as Bracebridge Street, Aston, manufacturing address of Tube Mills, Aston Brook Street, Birmingham, where they are stated to be 'manufacturers of brass, copper and German silver tubes...for lamps, burners, scientific and musical instruments, electrical apparatus, steam gauges, &c., &c. ..."

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
Frederic Lewis ink bottle RD 142814, registered on 21 August 1861 - Parcel 3. Registrant's address given as 6 Fleet Street, Dublin, and occupation as 'proprietor'.

Thoms Almanac and Official Directory for 1862 lists the occupant of 6 Fleet Street Dublin as: "Lewis, Fred. wholes. perfumer, and refined soap manufactur. and 41 Leinster road, Rathmines", the whole street being replete with merchants, traders, agents, jewellers, solicitors and the like.
 http://www.libraryireland.com/Dublin-Street-Directory-1862/548.php

In 1850, The Dublin City Directory lists F. Lewis (wholesale perfumer) as being at 45 Fleet Street.

Fleet Street is in the heart of the Temple Bar area of Central Dublin, and is now much modernised and altered since the 1860s.

The probate of the will of Frederic Lewis gives his date of death as 29 April 1880.

A quick online search at TNA also reveals the following Frederic Lewis design registrations (all with the same address of 6 Fleet Street for the registrant):
RD 140188, registered 24 April 1861 - Parcel 2; pomade bottle; Class 3: glass
RD 142815, registered on 21 August 1861 - Parcel 3; ink bottle; Class 3: glass
RD 174479, registered on 11 May 1864 - Parcel 6; bottle for perfumes or other materials; Class 3: glass.

Fred.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:31 PM »
I'm related to the Bentons of Birmingham - I'm going to have to check now if it's the same ones...!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand