No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands  (Read 27021 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Ink Wells, Ink Bottles and Stands
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
looks like replies Nos. 7 to 15 need to be re-positioned, Anne, please..............    but if not possible then no doubt we can copy and paste those items over to the proper ink well thread. :)

Fred  ...........  provided I make the appropriate note for myself, then in the coming weeks I'll try to post the three other Frederic Lewis designs you've mentioned.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Good heavens, what a whole bunch of information about a whole bunch of stuff!

Hallmarks. Not sure where my little book is, but what we've got on the inkstand is...

HE         Crown                  N         Lion                                   Head
& C?      (with 3 points)                 (on 3 legs, facing left)          (facing left)

Can't tell if the head is male or female.

Carolyn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »
the only town mark Carolyn, that consist of a crown only, is Sheffield - which is probably the origin of your Silver, although from whence the glass comes is anyone's guess............   but Sheffield isn't that far from some of the C19 glass factories.
The maker's mark is almost certainly Hawkesworth, Eyre & Co., active in the C19, and first in business somewhere around the mid 1830s  -  the monarch is of course Victoria.
Date letters need a little caution with interpretation, since all letters - both lower and upper case - are used on a rotation basis, with some showing serifs and others sans-serif, so if your upper case N is with serifs then should be 1856/57, and without serifs then 1880/81.........   upper case N appears again in the mid 1950s, but that won't be yours...............   the town mark and left facing head will be the same for both.
Unfortunately, old silver hallmarks tend to become worn, and not always easy to see whether serifs or not.
my earlier droning on about Sterling was a bit cheeky, and was my way of pointing to your use of Stirling for the standard for silver rather than with the 'e'.

hope of some interest and use. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »
many thanks Anne  -  all and any help appreciated. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2017, 12:42:33 AM »
Some examples of HC&E hallmarks here if it helps till you find your wee book. http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXH3.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 12:47:50 AM »
many thanks Anne  -  all and any help appreciated. :)

All fettled now Paul. :)

Online neilh

• Members
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 01:05:54 AM »
To follow on from the Bentons of Birmingham, I am almost certainly related (3x great grandmother Sarah Benton of Birmingham / Aston). Virtually all male members of the extended family were involved in metalworking. In the 18th century, more so with silver, but in the 19th century more so with brass working, with other family members being involved with iron moulding and electroplating in the Birmingham / Aston areas.

Lower achieving Bentons remained in the Birmingham area, but those reaching higher achievements moved to Sheffield and ran a company called Benton Brothers.

There are no connections with the glass industry so bottom line is that George Benton may have been able to make a mould and in terms of a registration may have paired up with somebody able to design the mould, and together they registered it.

For your interest, here is the oldest photo I have of the Benton family, Thomas Benton, b1866

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 01:51:01 AM »
I do like the Benton and Walsh designs, they are fab. I'd give both those house room in an instant!

Neil, how exciting to find the connection, and thank you for sharing it and your photo with us. I love their expressions!

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »
Sorry for the typo, Paul. My dad's middle name was Stirling, so that tends to be my go to spelling :-) There are definitely serif's floating about the N so 1856/57 it is. Sheffield, you say. I have friends now from Sheffield.

Hawksworth, Eyre and Company for sure!

HE over & Co into a quatrefoil
"Hawksworth, Eyre & Co -Charles Hawksworth & John Eyre-
Sheffield 1850 c. hallmark
Founded in 1833 by Charles Hawksworth and John Eyre as successors of Blagden, Hodgson & Co. The partnership was dissolved in 1869 and the business was continued by James Kebberling Bembridge, Thomas Hall and George Woofhouse. In the 1870s the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style Hawksworth, Eyre & Co Ltd. The firm went into liquidation in the 1930s."

Apparently, back in the day when they were actually successfully. Which means it has been moved from Sheffield, possibly to Austria, back to Scotland, to various locations in Canada to currently reside in Calgary. And yet the glass lives! I'm truly impressed.

Carolyn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »
here are a few more inky items for the Board's archives  -  Frederic Lewis and Eliezer Edwards popping up again, but don't think I've seen Digby or Woods before  -  hope the images clear enough for details to be seen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand