No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Samuel Harraden Insulator Reg. 102545 dated 12.11.1855.  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Samuel Harraden Insulator Reg. 102545 dated 12.11.1855.
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:13:53 PM »
A small item that surfaced when I was searching for ink wells etc., and since we do occasionally have an interest in piano insulators  -  which I assume is what this is  -  then thought it might be of interest.           As usual, this Kew page lacks any dimensions, so no idea of size  -  it looks smallish  -  perhaps it was for small pianos.
Not quite sure if the text description is implying anything other than the fact that this is a Victorian item  -  did the Victorians referred to themselves as that - or is that a label from the C20?         Have we seen one in the flesh so to speak?                    Anyway, one more for Fred's encyclopedia. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Samuel Harraden Insulator Reg. 102545 dated 12.11.1855.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »
Thank you for showing this, Paul.

I will see if I can find anything more about it before adding it to the GMB RD database.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:55 PM »
Brief biographical details about Samuel Harraden and his family:

Samuel Harraden, born about 1822 in Cambridgeshire.

It would appear that in 1846, whilst working in Calcutta, India, as a 'merchant', he had a good reputation as an organist, and formed the Calcutta 'Glee Club'.

Married Rosalie Harriot Eliza Lindstedt in Bengal, India in 1848. (Rosalie born about 1828 in India).

Wikipedia:
Ethel Rosalie Harraden (Mrs. Frank Glover) (b. 1857 d. 1917) was an English pianist, composer and music critic. She was born in Islington, Middlesex, England, in 1857, the daughter of Samuel Harraden, a London/Calcutta agent, and studied at the Royal Academy of Music.

http://www.essaylet.com/author/beatrice-harraden/beatrice-harraden-biography.html
tells us that Samuel's youngest daughter, Beatrice, was born in Hampstead, London in 1864, and that her father, Samuel was "an importer of musical instruments" (hence, presumably, the connection with the registered design for a glass piano insulator). "Beatrice Harraden, though little known today, published novels and short-story collections between 1891 and 1928. She was an important early feminist novelist; she was also extremely active in the suffragette movement, which she describes in her book Our Warrior Women (1916). A founder of the Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU), formed in 1903, she travelled extensively on the Continent and in the United States; her hope was to facilitate international comity among women's groups."

In 1868, Samuel Harraden was living in St John's Wood Park. In 1891, he was head of household living at 5 Cannon Place, London (with previous addresses at 30 Lancaster Road and 34 Parliament Hill Road). Occupation given as East India Agent.

Samuel died in Hampstead, London in 1897.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Paul, I don't know if I misunderstood your query, but the text on the page actually says 'Victoria' not 'Victorian' so presumably that was the name given to the pattern of that piece?

Also the address on the photograph says
East Temple Chambers
9 Whitefriars (?) (St (?) ) ...?(possibly Fleet st?) London
correction:  It reads 2 Whitefriars St

I wonder why Fred's addresses don't correspond?
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
thanks m  -  yes, I did see that it was Victoria rather than Victorian, and had spotted the address too  -  but it hadn't occurred to me until you mentioned it that Harraden was giving the name 'Victoria' to his invention  -  probably in honour of his monarch, who at that time (I think) was Empress of India as well.     The India connection being obvious, but not guaranteed to be the reason, and suppose he was a very keen royalist too.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
and Beatrice had a sister called Ethel (pianist and composer) born 1857 and a brother called Herbert (who wrote librettos for her)
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_ZnPDAAAQBAJ&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=samuel+harraden+importer+musical+instruments&source=bl&ots=XDE91-gszl&sig=7JJRpnlV7bkB6SXxIhNTdP9TEb8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiT1LjC1L3RAhVWcFAKHUtcC7sQ6AEIJDAC#v=onepage&q=samuel%20harraden%20importer%20musical%20instruments&f=false

She also had a younger sister Gertrude.  Apparently Ethel started composing when she was 5.
'Gertrude, a Lyric Authoress and Beatrice, a Literary Authoress.'
http://www.leamingtonhistory.co.uk/ethel-harraden

I am thinking that East Temple Chambers was a large building with lots of room/apartments (so lots of named occupants and not just one house address for one family if yswim?)  and was the building at 2 Whitefriars Street.

Oops apologies, just seen it was registered 1855 on your caption.  That'll learn me  :-[

If they married in 1848, 9 years would have been a long time before having a first child if that was Ethel in 1857 wouldn't it?
I know, not relevant but just wondering why? 
The daughters appear very enlightened and emancipated. 

m

Offline KaC1950

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Hello Fred,
Hope you are well !
I actually have an example of this rare Piano Insulator in my collection and will let you have some detailed pictures of it direct for you to post on this site if you are still in need of them ?
It is in fact a fairly substantial piece with 4 small bun feet to elevate it from the floor slightly and weighs in at 818 grams.
It's base diameter is approximately 12 1/2cms and it is about 4cms high.
Also, although it is constructed from clear glass it glows green when exposed to an ultra-violet light.
All The Best,
Kevin.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
Thank you, Kevin. That's very kind of you.

Fred.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
I'm sure sure it was very practical as an insulator with four feet. Part of the idea was to spread the weight, not to provide point sources of load

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand