No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cloisonne, tube work or what?  (Read 602 times)

Offline luttonlodge

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • English Glass
    • UK
Cloisonne, tube work or what?
« on: January 18, 2017, 12:12:10 PM »
I have had a pair of these for sometime and having identified the beaker as Anchor Hocking mug, I have put it on one side.
However the decoration doesn't seem to be standard decoration for Anchor Hocking or glass in general (bearing in mind my limited time studying glass).
Could any one identify the possible artist?
Or tell me what this type of decoration may be called?
The decoration appears to be created by a "tubeline" of a gold coloured enamel/paint and filled in with a colour. This has all been applied to a frosted glass. It appears to be signed on the base.
mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Cloisonne, tube work or what?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
Hello Mike    ............ I don't think glass is one of the materials that can be treated with a cloisonné type of decoration  -  it's done on a copper base usually, with fine gold or silver wires soldered to the metal and the enamel is then fired to fill in the gaps etc. and then sanded and polished.

It's very difficult to see clearly from your pix exactly what is going on with this piece, but just possible there is an acid colour fix - the images of leaves - and then gilding is used to outline those shapes.              The general matte finish to the glass might be created using acid or possibly sandblasting, but the surface created which we can see is very like the matte surface on modern acid washed/decorated glass  -  it's a method that lends itself to an almost irregular abstract end result, which in this case is better defined by the gilding.

As Christine commented very recently  -  tube lining as a method of decoration is confined to ceramics.

Sorry this probably isn't very helpful and hope someone else can give you better information. :)                 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:20:21 AM »
If you cannot find the decor on other Anchor Hocking pieces, it's likely that this is hobbyist work. These don't strike me a commonly found in the UK AH pieces, so perhaps they were a gift

Have you searched this gallery http://chataboutdg.com/gallery/

Glass enamels can appear raised. Victorian gilding is often applied over a raised yellow or brownish enamel.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:23 PM »
It could be outlining paste with a painted inside. It explains how to do it here: http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Glass-Painting-from-a-Pattern-Tracing
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand