No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Samuel Cole Falcon Glassworks Stoke and Jonathon Richardson of Richardson glass  (Read 9211 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection

Benjamin Richardson (1802-1887) personal estate £5110 7s 7d
The Will of Benjamin Richardson late of Wordley Hall... Stafford Gentleman who died 30 November 1887 was proved at Lichfild by William Haden Richardson of Kyle Street in the City of Glasgow and Henry Gething Richardson of Wordsley in the said Parish Glass Manufactueres the Sons Mary Roose Widow and Martha Haden Richardson Spinster

and his son Henry Gething Richardson 1832-1916 (d Staffordshire)
Henry Gething Richardson of The Hawthorns Wordsley left £7679 6s to Elizabeth Richardson widow, Martha Alice Richardson and Mary Maria Richardson spinsters, William Haden Arthur Richardson glass manufacturer and Henry Edward Richardson, gentleman.

Mary Roose Widow was born Mary Maria Richardson - she was a daughter of Benjamin Richardson, and married James Roose in the church of St Paul, Covent Garden, London on 14th May 1847 by a licence issued the day previously (so no Banns read in either parish). Her father is given as Benjamin Richardson, glass manufacturer, and she was of the psrish of Wordsley. James Roose is given as a gentleman of this parish (St Paul's CG) and his father as Samuel Roose, also a gentleman. Mary Maria Roose died in 1897 aged 69, and was buried in Kingswinford on 24 May 1897, her address at death was given as Wordsley Hall. Her executor was MH or WH Richardson (the first character is unclear). Her husband apparently died sometime between 1851-1861 but I am not yet sure where or when.

Edited to add:
Mary Maria Richardson's husband was James Roose, the partner in a tube making business with William Haden Richardson (her brother) which went bust,  (this WHR is the elder son of Benjamin Richardson - the one who went to Scotland).  I found Roose in the London Gazette as a prisoner in Stafford gaol (Sep 1851) possibly for debt. He seems to have been a bit of a scamp, describing himself as a gentleman but clearly not one!  He was on the 1851 Census as an engineer for Beesley's gun barrel makers with whom he was visiting at the time of the census.

The Mary Maria Richardson referred to in Henry Gething Richardson's Will is his daughter.  There are so many repeated names in this family it makes tracking who is who a bit fiddly at times.

Yes, I will keep hunting, M.  If there is anything specific you want me to try and find just say... I'll see if I can find any more about Jonathan's death.   Re records, it is only the last couple of years that we have had such fabulous easy access to so many of these records online. There is more being put online every week, so fingers crossed. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you for amending the title Anne.

I'm keen to know who trained Samuel for two reasons:
- firstly because the glass pieces apparently shown as coming from Falcon Glassworks are quite nice - the bottle especially.

-secondly, where was that paperweight really made.  If it was made at Falcon Glassworks in the 19thC that is an interesting discovery.

I'm grateful to the potteries website for  including the information.
Who would have believed there was  a glassmaker up amongst all those potteries.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Should add here that the paperweight on the Falcon Glass works link from the Potteries website is thought to be a Clichy.
Some lucky owner :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Or perhaps <she said mischievously> the ones that folks think are Clichy are really Falcon! ;)   

Have you found the booklet "Contributions towards a history of glass making and glass makers in Staffordshire" by R Simms published 1894?  It has a section on the Richardson family but no mention of Samuel Cole or Falcon glassworks at Stoke.  There is a PDF copy on CMOG here: PDF LINK approx 3Mb download.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 ;D  sadly, I think it really is and so do Kev and Alan (though that picture of it is particularly bad)

I'm going to look at the book now - thank you.
I'm a member but can never find out how to open documents in CMOG - it's very irritating.
I joined JStor so I could look at old published articles and books - that was brilliant as I'd never been able to access stuff before.
m

Offline neilh

• Members
Did anyone ever post the tree for the Richardsons? I had a look yesterday and the main names looked to be:

The family tree goes
Joseph Richardson 1759-1841 marries Martha Haden b1764-1844

Sons and notable daughter are:

William Haden Richardson 1785-1876 (d Wordsley)
Thomas Richardson 1791-1866 (d Wordsley) - bricklayer
Susannah Richardson 1794-1868 marries Philip Pargeter 1792-1851
Joseph Richardson 1797-1884 - builder
Benjamin Richardson 1802-1887
Jonathan Richardson 1806-1857

William Haden Richardson left effects under £200 - executors Philip Pargeter of Coalbournebrook in Amblecote (Glass Manufacturer) and Wiliam Haden Richardson Pargeter of Brook Street Wordsley (Clerk in Glass Works)

Benjamin's sons are:
William Haden Richardson 1826-1913 (d Glasgow)
Henry Gething Richardson 1832-1916 (d Staffordshire)
Benjamin Richardson 1839-1873 (d Wordsley) - landed propietor and commercial traveller
Joseph Richardson 1840-1861

William Haden Richardson's probate has no sum specified but was confirmed by Benjamin Martin glassworks manager Edward Richardson and Roderick Couper.

Jonathan only had one son
John Thomas Haden Richardson 1835-1914 (d Burton upon Trent)
He was a flint glass manufacturer, on the 1871 census he was employing 53 men, 38 youths, and 6 women)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Neil that's fab.
But I think Jonathon had two more sons -

Joseph (shown in 1841 census here) who was older than John:

'I have found Jonathan Richardson aged 30*, flint glass maker living in Wordsley, Kingswinford, wife name of Sarah aged 35*on the 1841 Census, which shows a daughter Mary aged 13, son Joseph aged 10, daughter Sarah aged 8, son John aged 6, daughter Martha aged 3, daughter Eleanor aged 6 months.  [* adult ages in 1841 Census were rounded to nearest 5 years - don't ask why, I have no idea. Someone thought it was a good idea at the time!]'

and a  son younger than John called Jonathon Haden

'Sarah also has another son with her in 1861 - Jonathan aged 15, and the family next door ...'

If I've not misread that info perhaps we should amend your list above and delete my post.
Also I think we need to add any girls in - after all it was through a daughter that we found Samuel Cole's link to the glass world :)
and girl power and all that also of course  ;)

I'll work them out and type them up in the same format as yours above.#

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Just adding information on Jonathon Richardson's children, to Neil's Family Tree from this post:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64256.msg360346.html#msg360346

'The family tree goes
Joseph Richardson 1759-1841 marries Martha Haden b1764-1844

Sons and notable daughter are:

William Haden Richardson 1785-1876 (d Wordsley)
Thomas Richardson 1791-1866 (d Wordsley) - bricklayer
Susannah Richardson 1794-1868 marries Philip Pargeter 1792-1851
Joseph Richardson 1797-1884 - builder
Benjamin Richardson 1802-1887
Jonathan Richardson 1806-1857

William Haden Richardson left effects under £200 - executors Philip Pargeter of Coalbournebrook in Amblecote (Glass Manufacturer) and Wiliam Haden Richardson Pargeter of Brook Street Wordsley (Clerk in Glass Works)

Benjamin's sons are:
William Haden Richardson 1826-1913 (d Glasgow)
Henry Gething Richardson 1832-1916 (d Staffordshire)
Benjamin Richardson 1839-1873 (d Wordsley) - landed propietor and commercial traveller
Joseph Richardson 1840-1861

William Haden Richardson's probate has no sum specified but was confirmed by Benjamin Martin glassworks manager Edward Richardson and Roderick Couper.

Jonathan only had one son
Jonathon Richardson 1806- 29th April 1857 (d Wordsley)    =    married Sarah  1805-1881 2nd quarter (d Stoke)

Children:    (dates below based on census ages hence the query in case they were born the year before)

Mary Ann Richardson  1828?- ?d between 1891&1901) m 13Oct1849  Samuel Cole (Falcon Glassworks) 1826-1906 4th quarter (d Stoke)
Joseph Richardson  1831? -
Sarah Richardson 1833? -
Martha Jemima Richardson 1838? -
Eleanor Richardson 1841? -
Edith Richardson 1845? -
Jonathon  Richardson 1846? -
Anne Eunice Sarah Richardson 1850? -

He was a flint glass manufacturer, on the 1871 census he was employing 53 men, 38 youths, and 6 women)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Where Jonathon Richardson (1806-1857), glass-maker, worked

>  1836(?)  - (?) Possibly Hawkes - information currently unknown
(?)1836 - 1852 W.H., B. & J. Richardson  - the actual date he joined and date the company was named still TBC  (see Note 1)
     1852 - 1857 B. Richardson (see Note 2)

Note 1.
CH British Glass 1800-1914 pp 95 and 96:

On Christmas day 1929 William Haden Richardson and Benjamin Richardson partnered with Thomas Webb and took over the Wordsley Flint Glassworks.
Thomas Webb left in 1836.

According to the document 'The History of Glassmaking and Glass makers in Staffordshire' dated 1894 pp8, Thomas Webb left on 5th December 1836.
http://www.cmog.org/sites/default/files/collections/3F/3F5BBA7C-6245-4CE9-8327-680EE3662B5C.pdf

CH says that in the obituary of John T. H. Richardson, Jonathon Richardson's son, it was mentioned that Jonathon Richardson had joined the company in 1836.(pp96).  CH says Jonathon was certainly at the factory by 1942 (pp95).

Again according to the document linked above 'The History of Glassmaking ...' pp8, it says that 'after 15th December 1836,  Messrs. W.H., and B. Richardson took their brother Jonathon Richardson into partnership, when the firm became Messrs. W.H.,B. and J. Richardson, Wordsley Flint Glass Works.'

It is not clear from either source, on what date Jonathon joined the company, but there must be some documentation somewhere to evidence the fact the company became W.H., B. and J Richardson and on what date.

The Black Country Website says:
'In 1836, Thomas Webb left the company to found 'Thomas Webb & Sons'. The third Richardson brother, Jonathan, then joined the firm. In 1841, William Haden Richardson bought the White House Glassworks. By 1842, the company became known as 'W. H., B. & J. Richardson'. By 1852 this name was discontinued when the firm became insolvent. However, in 1853 the company reopened, carrying only the name of 'Benjamin Richardson'.'
So there must be some documentation of it becoming W.H., B. & J. Richardson in 1842 hence Charles book saying Jonathon was certainly there by 1842.
But so far nothing documenting it as that between 1836 and 1842.

Note 2. 
The Black Country Website says:
'In 1836, Thomas Webb left the company to found 'Thomas Webb & Sons'. The third Richardson brother, Jonathan, then joined the firm. In 1841, William Haden Richardson bought the White House Glassworks. By 1842, the company became known as 'W. H., B. & J. Richardson'. By 1852 this name was discontinued when the firm became insolvent. However, in 1853 the company reopened, carrying only the name of 'Benjamin Richardson'.'

It was 1863/4 before the company name appears to have changed again from what I could find.

m

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I have all the details but won't be able to post them until later this week as I'm pushed for time due to tax return, work, meetings, medical appts, this week....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand