No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stourbridge Glass Co, Glasshouse Street, Ancoats, Manchester  (Read 3502 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Stourbridge Glass Co, Glasshouse Street, Ancoats, Manchester
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
Just to throw another item into the Manchester / Ancoats/ 'Oldham Road vicinity' Glass Works mix, I have found this reference to Samuel Ralphs and the Prussia Street Flint Glass Works, Oldham Road, Manchester, which seems to have been established in the mid-1860s:
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1891POLon-Ralph.jpg

Prussia Street no longer exists as such, but apparently it was off  Portugal Street, just south across Oldham Road from Glasshouse Street (home of the Stourbridge Glass Co.).

Fred.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »
I'm relying here on the research of Peter Bone presented in the Journal of the Glass Association Vol 8 (2008).

The Stourbridge Flint Glass Works are down as connected to William Maginnis then John Williams, then from the late 1830s to early 1840s, a partnership of Atherton & Buckley. William Atherton is declared bankrupt in 1843 and Percival Vickers take over the site until about 1875. I assume it was their secondary site as I believe the one on Jersey Street was custom built at the time of founding in 1844.

These glass houses could be erected pretty quickly. For example Molineaux Webb leased land on Dec 26th 1826 and started production on June 18th 1827.

The Webbs of Stourbridge were never involved in the Manchester glass industry as far as I know so the great glass website has mixed up Thomas Webb & Sons of Varley Street Ancoats with other companies. Thomas Webb & Sons morphed into Webb Brothers. Looks like the factory was only active for 10 years or so.

The Prussia Street Glass Works was run by Ker & Webb, then Andrew Ker, then briefly Samuel Ralphs, then James Bridge & Co, then taken over by Butterworths, all in a short period between c1870 and 1900

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »
Thank you Neil.

What is a bit weird though, is that a company in Ancoats Manchester would call itself the 'Stourbridge' flint glass company.  Bit odd isn't it?

m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 08:02:09 PM »
Thank you for your valuable input, Neil.

When you think about all the mills and warehouses in that area too, it seems incredible that so much industry could be crammed into such a small area - and that most of it had disappeared in well less than a century.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
In 1828-9 Pigot's have a Maginnis, Molineaux and Co, Kirby Street, New Islington
Is that connected with your Molineaux Neil? - I've just relooked at your site and see it was :)
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hdMHAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA380&lpg=PA380&dq=ancoats+glass+makers&source=bl&ots=J4eJGYZtPj&sig=2ra9LQl6eY1CP3SnahozsdfELck&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHgqzajuPRAhVsBcAKHUstCDU4ChDoAQggMAE#v=onepage&q=ancoats%20glass%20makers&f=false

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »
It would be good to find a copy of the Staffordshire Advertiser and find out what it really says

It does not say *anything* about Glasshouse Street, Manchester.  I have looked through the whole issue and screengrabbed the relevant advert, and I have added it to the topic on Samuel Cole: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64256.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »
I knew it :)  It was just worded so oddly.

Thanks Anne.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand