No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Exbor bowl - identification help. ID = Designer ... Karel Wünsch  (Read 1935 times)

Offline assaf

• Members
Hi,
I recently found a nice Exbor bowl. It is heavy, has a mat finish to the outside and clear polished on the inside. it measure about 14 cm across, and about 7cm high.
It is marked Exbor, which is clear. But in addition to the Exbor mark there is an additional acid-etched mark, that looks like the letter 'W' within a rectangle, see the pictures.
Can the knowledgeable members of this forum help me to figure out this mark, who is the designer and year of production?
Thanks allot for every bit of info on this!
Assaf

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Exbor bowel - identification help
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
No idea but lovely bowl

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 10:30:42 PM »
Hi, an interesting piece. It looks like a possible genuine acid mark W for made under the supervision of Karel Wunsch at Exbor, though he can be contacted directly through his Gallery W webpage and if you use google translate with an English version too, he may be available to reply and let you know himself!! Even in his 80's, he is still promoting Czech glass but if this is his work, he will recognise it and maybe remember seeing these made. I think there is a thread on here that can be searched for Wunsch cartouche. Perhaps 1980 would be my guess but could be earlier. I say maybe genuine acid mark because I have seen some pieces on ebay where I doubt the marks are old, the W even being newer and shinier than the Exbor stamp but those have also not captured the dots in the W as well. I hope it is genuine as I have not seen this pattern before. Great piece if so! Should be a good one.

all the best! Hopefully a mod can change the title slightly, as it sounds like a medical matter!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline assaf

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
OOPs, sorry for the spelling!
bOBA, thanks allot for your input.
I took your advice and wrote to Mr.  Wunsch. I will share any more information I will get about this from him.

Assaf

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:52:45 PM »
No worries, I am only being silly about spelling Assaf. I would be hopeful he can send you a message, if he can, I am sure he will. Tell us what he says, I am pretty sure it is a good rare piece of his work,

I look forward to hearing about it,

yours,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline assaf

• Members
Re: Exbor bowl - identification help - solved!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
My Questions are all answered!

I just got a reply from Mr. Karl Wunsch himself about this BOWL  ;)
And here it is:

Dear Sir
I designed the pictured piece for EXBOR in middle sixties. The mark W was my logo and it’s mean
made under the supervision of the designer. Technologic description: Mold-blown, double layer / at first with black friable, second amber colored  [ * ] / glass. Cut and polished lenses. It’s a good piece made in a little set.
Best wishes
Karel Wünsch

So Robert, thanks again for your idea to contact Mr. Wunsch himself. It realy helped.

Assaf

[ * ] Mod: Please see correction in Reply #7.

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Exbor bowl - identification help. ID = Designer ... Karel Wünsch
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 12:05:39 AM »
Great news Assaf! The man himself confirmed it. What a good guy to still help people indentify his work. I think "little set" may be a translation of small series, referring to a limited edition, rather than general production, in line with the W cartouche mark, a perfect attribution,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline assaf

• Members
Re: Exbor bowl - identification help. ID = Designer ... Karel Wünsch
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 09:36:38 AM »
a small correction regarding the technique used on this piece, that Mr. Wunsch sent me after the first email:

correction: Mold-blown, double layer / at first with amber colored, second friable opal / glass.
K.W.

Assaf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand