No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richardson glass - Portland Vase Birmingham Bingley Hall 1849  (Read 1035 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Richardson glass - Portland Vase Birmingham Bingley Hall 1849
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »
I'm back full circle on my blue Etruscan vase.  And looking for some help please.

Coming back to CH's book British Glass 1800-1914 page 419 Appendix

There is a list of an Extract from 1849 Exhibition Catalogue at Bingley Hall, Birmingham.
The list of Richardson glass has:
no 15. Portland Vase, painted, Fawn Figures.
no 16. Portland Vase, blue ground, and black shaded figures

Now, my vase has much in common with two or three opaline vases from Richardson c.1850 especially one in particular in the Corning Collection.
My vase is blue ground (blue opaline) and painted and has Fawn Figures (Beigy colour  figures with outlines in fine dark paint)

I think I've established that the figures were taken from a design book published in 1804 and then a second edition in 1814. But I suspect that is too early for the blue opaline and the shape probably - although the Etruscan vases (ancient,Sir William Hamilton collection) were around then of course and would have been 'popular interest' again because the plates were re-published perhaps.  But blue opaline is unlikely for that timeframe I think.

Does anyone at all know what these apparent 'Portland Vases' look like please?  Anyone got access to the Richardson pattern books at all?

Thanks for any help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand