No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 18Th Century? Three leaf clover irish? Square Decanter...  (Read 2211 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Re: 18Th Century? Three leaf clover irish? Square Decanter...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
That book is my big want ive been looking and hoping to find one in a charity shop for donkey's years sadly I cant bring myself to buy it at the going price, The decanter you mention is engraved rather than acid etched sounds very interesting as all the decanters were purchased buy me from the same person and by the seller from the same person which book is the similar stevens & Williams decanter in not the decanter mans book?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
I can't remotely imagine that you'd every find Andy McConnell's book in a charity shop, unfortunately.

There was a time when I would automatically 'Reference' all of the books I had used to produce my posts, at the end of each post, but gave up the habit some time back.
R. S. Williams-Thomas produced a slim book back in 1983, which was published by S. & W. themselves - the title of which was 'THE CRYSTAL YEARS - A Tribute to the skills and artistry of S. & W./Royal Brierley Crystal'.             At only 80 pages it is somewhat limited in it's coverage of glass, and the details of the family history of the company reduces the usefulness - for folk like us - even further.          A lot of the pix are of top end production commemorating coronations and jubilees for such luminaries as various monarch's and the King of Nepal, and one of the chapters begins 'When God made the World he brightened our lives with colour.............'  so you get the idea that it wasn't exactly aimed at collectors.

Probably of most interest to us are the Appendices which carry in some cases extensive and very useful information on the colours, Design Registrations, Patent Applications, Exhibitions attended (1851 - 1971) and various Royal Warrants and Patrons.

At the moment there are several copies available on Abe Books, starting at a fiver, which is probably about all you'd want to pay.    It is useful if you're going to stay with glass collecting, but probably not otherwise. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »
paul the amphora vase I suspect might have been made by s & w was just a hunch, After googling the victorias jubilee ive seen the odd piece of commemorative ware with clover/roses/thistles on which I guess signifies solidarity I wonder if the amphora is relating to the jubilee also, Sadly im not up on commemorative ware but will keep digging. The two handled vase has very little ware to the base but what struck me was that the quality of the engraving suggested better than average production skills I understand this form is or has been produced for a long time but the modern examples seem to lack quality which this has in my eyes possible connection with the amphora + acid etched vase very interesting thanks again for your comments. ????
P.S. sorry for all the busy pictures folks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand