No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala's 'Aalto' vase for show.  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Iittala's 'Aalto' vase for show.
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
probably most folk already know this one, but the first I've found in a charity shop, so not expensive.      Am sure I've seen smaller copies (this one is the largest size at 6.25 inches tall) - might the copies be from China or eastern Europe?
Apparently designed way back in 1936 by Alvar Aalto, and produced on and off in the intervening years in a variety of colours such as red, olive, clear, opal, blue and 'gray' which is what I think this colour is supposed to be (though not sure), but think in the U.K. we might say midnight or smoky.       Gray is apparently one of the most recent colours - c. 2000.
Worth big bucks it seems if you have a green or red example.

Officially described as ......  'biomorphic form with free-flowing and undulating walls, and they were certainly being made as recently as 2002, and for all I know may still be in production.              this one is acid backstamped with... ALVAR AALTO, and still has the factory label.

Offline culverwood

• Members
Re: Iittala's 'Aalto' vase for show.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
It is certainly still in production and the inspiration for the shape was the map of Finland (before Karelia was partly ceded to Russia) I was told.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »
hi - thanks for the additional information which I certainly wasn't aware of :)

I had meant to also add in my original post that according to Pina & Vigier (2002), prior to c. 1970 this design was known by the alternative name of 'Savoy'.............    the origin of this apparently being the fact that the Savoy restaurant in Helsinki was one of the first customers for Aalto's design.

I'll probably be considered a philistine, but have to say that these modernist designs are not really my thing  -  it was just that for £3 I couldn't leave it behind  -  so can now photograph the piece and pass on to my favourite charity shop who will be able to sell for more, I hope.

Offline culverwood

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
Well both the Savoy restaurant and Wikipedia say "The design was inspired by the dress of Sami women. Called Eskimåkvinnans skinnbyxa (the Eskimo woman's leather breech)." so perhaps I was misinformed.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
 ;D  sorry, hope my comments didn't come across as implying I doubted your word  -  some years back I knew a little about Scandi glass - but now don't collect the stuff and have forgotten what little I did know.

So instead of saying to a husband 'well, who wears the trousers in this house then ............   would seem you have to say.....  " so who wears the Eskimåkvinnans skinnbyxa in this igloo then ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand