No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Request 1  (Read 1511 times)

Offline xFeaRDom

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweight
    • United Kingdom
ID Request 1
« on: February 14, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
So I recently purchased a second hand paperweight and it came to my knowledge that it is a really interesting paperweight, and I wanted to know the origin, as when it was delivered it appealed it me more than the original images had shown.

So if possible can somebody assist me in locating the origin, there is nothing to show it on the paperweight (Engraved text, logos etc) Just a flat bottom.

There was a barcode on the bottom though, but that didn't show any results.

If any extra images are required, then I will post them on request, but the paperweight seems to be the same on all angles.

The centre of the paperweight seems to be a reflective, metallic material, which seems to be translucent, whether or not this is an illusion I am unsure.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: ID Request 1
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:38:14 PM »
Hi, welcome to the GMB.

I have not seen one like this but with a bar code label it is clearly recent and could be a modern mass produced design out of China.

The reflective appearance within the weight is simply the way light makes air bubbles appear "silvery" when trapped in the clear glass.

Could you please say whether the what seems to be "ground / etched" stripes rising up from the base are on the surface or are they part of the interior decoration?
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline xFeaRDom

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweight
    • United Kingdom
Re: ID Request 1
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 11:03:42 PM »
The stripes are part of the interior decoration, and I tried searching for similar paperweights but couldn't seem to find anything similar. The paperweight was worn, showing signs of it being quite old.

After close inspection, the stripes appear very close to the surface, however there is a small amount of clear glass, but it is under the surface.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand