No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare 1840s Baccarat uranium glass becher -show and tell Launay Hautin 1841  (Read 12968 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This becher or goblet design appears in the Launay Hautin & Cie catalogue in 1841 made by Baccarat:

- Compagnie des Cristalleries de Baccarat uranium glass becher
   Launary Hautin & Cie catalogue 2me Partie for 1841
   Planche 80 bottom right hand of page

Gobelet a tulipe
2495 B (1)
M: a Larmes

http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Launay-Hautin-1841.21+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9ODk0JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

My goblet is green uranium glass.

From what I can work out Baccarat appear to have used uranium glass fairly sparsely and first used it in 1843 calling it ' Cristal Dichroide '. 
I am not sure where that information originated from as a source, as it is repeated on many sites in the same format but can be found here:
http://www.theglassmuseum.com/uranium.htm

I have found a book from 1845 that specifically mentions Baccarat uranium glass:

This piece in the ‘Revue scientifique et industrielle’ dated September 1845
and mentions under Baccarat ‘les dichroides jaune et vert’ (uranium glass in green and yellow) pp 456

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rCkeOlWwimoC&pg=RA1-PA457&lpg=RA1-PA457&dq=baccarat+cristal+dichroide&source=bl&ots=RN1pSkLcR2&sig=dkdeU6AZFQsYOouehni0n_2I4V4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4yJXn2ZTSAhVlC8AKHRwEAQE4ChDoAQhHMAs#v=onepage&q=dichroide&f=false

Also in La Cristallerie de Clichy a uranium glass footed goblet in a similar design is pictured on page 101:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KEYMY4_ytuUC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=baccarat+launay+hautin&source=bl&ots=pUuPojDVZn&sig=9rXROezNGtrHnx4n82oU93qIzUQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdvN-K2ZTSAhXpB8AKHYhhBQI4ChDoAQgZMAA#v=snippet&q=%20ouraline&f=false

This goblet in a very similar version design, but with slight differences particulary in the foot shape, also appears in 1841 Launay Hautin catalogue 2em partie place 78
No 2426 Baccarat
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Launay-Hautin-1841.21+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMSZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9ODg2JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html

The becher shape of my becher goblet is very typical for the 1840s era in Bohemian glass (although it should be noted that bechers were, and continue to be, produced in many formats and designs from before the 1840s and up to the present day).

So in summary I believe this is an early, rare, piece of mould blown or pressed Baccarat uranium glass dating to around 1843.

It is heavy and the quality is good although there are some small bubbles in the glass and the odd crease mark (shown on picture). 
There is no evidence of a mould although there is a curious mark on the base.
The base is indented like a bird bath footwell (as shown in the catalogue design pictures).
There is heavy wear on the base.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: Rare 1840s Baccarat uranium glass becher -show and tell Launay Hautin 1841
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
Nice piece M.

Just to add something, you can also try to search Baccarat cristal dichroique ... I know it's just a few letters that are different but it makes, perhaps, all the difference with finding search results on the net.

M = larmes, I think refers to the décor ... m = motif (applied décor) larmes = tears.

What height is it please? It mentions in the catalogue 'Gobelet à Tulipe' which literally translates as tulip goblet but I wonder whether this refers to te shape or use.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
Thank you.  I've been looking for a long time :)

à Tulipe refers to the shape I believe Anne - that is, it is shaped a bit like a tulip flower :)  I have seen this description before.  It is a becher size, not a vase size.  Just a drinking glass definitely not a vase for tulips.  I think from the catalogue that it appears to have only come in 1 size?

Yes, I realise now that 'larmes' are tears i.e. the motif on the side of the becher (gobelet).
Thank you for the hint on a different spelling.  I will have another look to see if I can find more.

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:52:33 PM »
I wasn't sur about its use but now you mention it... it probably refers to its shape.

Size wise, perhaps there are more sizes or otherwise versions ... you might have to go through the catalogue, but it says (1) after its number, so there are more versions or sizes, one would think.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:14:03 PM »
I think it's really tricky to claim a goblet or drinking glass is by a particular manufacturer.

For example there is this shape in the Molineaux Webb catalog

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:17:59 PM »
And this one in a Percival Vickers catalog (4 different sizes known)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »
 ;D  aah, I was waiting for my bubble to be burst -  :)  but thought I might be told it could be American. I am a little bit circumspect about the colour of the green. 

ok, tricky one.  What are the bases of those pieces like please ?  The base of mine matches the description in the Launay Hautin catalogue description.  I'll do some more investigating then.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:02:10 PM »
the link to Molineaux webb cat page is here
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/molineaux-webb-unregistered-pressed-glass/drinking

Neil I think the question you pose at the top of that page can be found in the 1841 Launay Hautin catalogues.  i.e. the goblets could date as early as 1840s.

now, my tulip goblet. ....
how to work out whether Molineaux Webb, Percival Vickers or Baccarat made this green uranium glass in this tumbler?

Very annoying but I am more inclined to think possibly British given it was bought from here.
And how to find out what the base of the MW and PV tumblers looked like?

Looking at the drawings though comparing to the profile pic neither seem quite right:
The curve on the hips of the tumbler are more like the Molineaux Webb drawing but you definitely do not see as much of the three tears as in the drawing, only the front one and then a thin part of each of the one either side.
The shape doesn't seem right for the Percival Vickers piece though, so I'd veer towards MW to start with for comparisons.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »
In fact, doing a comparison of all three images I don't think the shape is right for either the Molineaux Webb or the Percival Vickers. 
It isn't the same proportions or on the curves or the amount of motif visible.
It's very different at the top compared to the PV and very different at the bottom compared to the MW.
I'll go and take another look at the Launay Hautin comparisons as well.
Neil could I use your two pics to make a comparison picture please to show what I mean?
If not don't worry.

But ... it is identical to the Baccarat pic in the Launay Hautin catalogue.  I am therefore satisfied it is Baccarat rather than Molineaux Webb or Percival Vickers on comparison :)  phew...

Any further input thoughts very much appreciated though as that is just on a comparison of the three catalogue pictures.
m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
I'm not familiar with the other houses mentioned but are sizes known at all?
Personally, I think that keeping an open mind is important and wherever an item's bought, it doesn't confirm its origin.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand