No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby 'Apple picker' vase.  (Read 1283 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Sowerby 'Apple picker' vase.
« on: March 07, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »
3.25 inches tall, mark inside, the first image is the correct colour but poor detail.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby 'Apple picker' vase.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
Thank you for showing this, Keith. I presume that it is of Ivory Queen's Ware.

The design was actually taken from a drawing entitled 'The Apple Pickers' by a Miss Howard.

It was made in two sizes, the smaller (like yours) being Sowerby pattern 1268, and the larger being Sowerby pattern 1269, and they appear adjacent to each other on page 5 of Sowerby pattern book IX (1882). .

It was from an unregistered design (and examples normally carry just the Sowerby peacock head mark).

I have also seen examples in purple and blue marbled glasses.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »
very nice Keith  ............   good to see you're coming over to the dark side ;)  -  collecting pressed glass I mean ;D

It certainly was made in PQIW  -  see Ray Slack's book (page 33) - where he reproduces a 'sample sheet of Sowerby's PQIW from the Pottery Gazette dated 1st November 1879', which includes an example of the small version of your vase, as explained by Fred.               As you may have seen from our ramblings in the past, pressings in this material usually show a much crisper image, often with fine detail - better than Vitro-Porcelain for example.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »
Hello Fred, I thought Ivory Queen ware was that creamy coloured stuff not white and Paul, I've been on the dark side for some time now !  :o ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
you're right Keith  -  Ivory Ware is a pale cream colour, and definitely not white.            If yours is white, then it will be Vitro-Porcelain, but as I say this particular design was made in Ivory Ware, as well as other colours as Fred has mentioned.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
It can go with these, there are more somewhere, I think  ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand