No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby Squashed Plate on 3 Feet.  (Read 2526 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Sowerby Squashed Plate on 3 Feet.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:09 PM »
On checking back through my reference photos I find that I did have photos of a 'tricorn' dish near identical to that shown by Roy. The only reason that I hadn't posted them was that the lozenge was indistinct (apart from the fact that it appeared to indicate a registration date in either June or November 1876) - so problem now seemingly solved in that I agree with you that the 'curly' or tricorn dish is indeed from RD 301312 of 20 June 1876 - Parcel.

I attach  photo of a Sowerby pattern 1165 pin dish along with its pattern book image (from page 2 of pattern book IX, 1882). There is no lozenge mark on the dish, but the centre of the dish bowl has a large peacock mark as a prominent part of the design, so the design would appear to be unregistered. It is fairly obvious, I think, that this pattern 1165 pin dish an 'uncurly' version of Roy's tricorn dish, even down to the three small feet, despite the centre pattern of the dishes differing in detail.

It is pretty evident that Sowerby used elements of this 'basketweave' design in several of their patterns (including 1159, 1175, and 1166). I suspect also that this 'basketweave' design was the basis for their unbiquitous unregistered pattern 1102 plates and dishes.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 10:17:12 PM »
congratulations Fred on todays sleuthing - you've put a lot of time and effort into these two very informative posts, which will stand the test of time and be a lasting source of definitive information for collectors of Sowerby patterns  -  well done.

Of course as you and I know, it's the workers in the field of pressed glass wot do all the hard work and original research - and post pix - who make this site so interesting for everyone else  -   where would the GMB without you. ;) ;D ;)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »
Thank you for your kind remarks, Paul.

I must admit that I contribute to the GMB not primarily from altruism but because I find it personally fulfilling, and I am fortunate in having the time and the resources to apply myself to shedding light into the some of the darker recesses of the nether world of Victorian glass designs.

Without your valuable input, however, whether from your own personal store of knowledge or from your excursions to TNA at Kew, I am sure that my task would be far more difficult, and the information revealed far less accurate and much less potentially useful to other like-minded GMB members.

Fred.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »
Thanks Fred and Paul

Thanks for all the hard work you both do. I will try and continue to find more items for you to research and to add more pictures for your gallery which seems to become more complete by the week.

I have not been online much in the last 48 hours as my wife lost her antique gold and diamond engagement and wedding rings in the town center on Tuesday. The more valuable engagement ring has since been returned having been found and having been taken into police station.

Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand