No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett and maybe a Webb corbett ?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Webb Corbett and maybe a Webb corbett ?
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
The green one I'm pretty sure is one of their pieces the deep blue has a 'crackle' type finish around the clear discs, not seen this before on this type of weight, any opinions please  ??? ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Webb Corbett and maybe a Webb corbett ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 05:29:28 PM »
I would suspect a manufacturing flaw.
It looks like the glass has been allowed to cool too much before putting it in a mould, the outer "skin" has then crinkled on contact.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
Thanks Sue, hadn't thought of that, it's very uniform all over, it reminds of the crackle effect seen on Walsh pieces, bit like this one but without the iridescence  ::) ;D

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
I am not sure about this, but perhaps the "crinkly" effect is simply the result of the colour being added as a pick up from the marver of blue "chips" rather than as an overlay (gathered from a pot or added as an "overlay cup").

Were these types of Webb Corbett weights formed in a mould? If so, I doubt the colour would have been added before any moulding process.
KevinH

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »
That could well be the case, Kev and I very happily bow to your vastly superior knowledge of weights compared to mine. :)
It does look like the blue enamel, however added, was not done evenly or at the correct temperature.

I do have one of these Webb weights, a spider in the uranium casing. I have no idea if it is a first or a second, but I was surprised at the lack of finess in it.
It has a swirly layer of tiny bubbles in the dome, under the top facet, which make it appear scratched.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »
Thanks for looking, I have no idea how these are made, must have a dozen of these the quality does vary but this is the first with this finish,very difficult to photograph, in fact it reminds me of of Webb bronze, very much like this piece...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand