No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare? WH Heppell glass wheelbarrow, RD 359806, registered 19 June 1880.  (Read 1484 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
The W.H. Heppell 'colliery wagon', RD 351191 of 19 June 1880 - Parcel 16 is not uncommon. Jenny Thompson (page 18) describes the design as being for a 'wagon shape'. The wagon has horizontally-planked sides, and the flanged wheels have 8 'spokes'. This design has been extensively discussed on the GMB at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,57756.msg340697.html#msg340697
along with some unmarked glass 'colliery wagon' variants of unknown manufacture.

On the same page she also describes Heppel's RD 359806, registered on 18 December 1880 - Parcel 15, as 'wagon shape?', but doesn't actually illustrate the design. Now here are some photos of a wheelbarrow in purple marbled glass with the registry date lozenge for 18 December 1888 - Parcel 13. (Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by mrsmac1670). These are the first photos that I am can recall seeing of the Heppell wheelbarrow. Note that the wheelbarrow has horizontally-planked sides (which imitate those of the colliery wagon) and a wheel with 4 'spokes'.

The only other registered designs for a wheelbarrow in glass that I know of is that of Greener & Co.'s RD 218710, registered on 20 September 1893 (13 years after the Heppell RD 359806 wheelbarrow!). This comes in a variety of colours, but I have never seen an example in marbled glass. There is also a matching Greener & Co. colliery wagon that bears the same RD number (218710), though this is much less commonly seen than the wheelbarrow. Both the wheelbarrow and the colliery wagon have vertically-gadrooned sides. Greener & Co.'s RD 218710  wheelbarrow and colliery wagon have already been discussed on the GMB at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48890.msg352461.html#msg352461

Does anyone of photos to show of the Heppell RD 359806 wheelbarrow in other colours to show, please?

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
very nice model.            first thing to say is that I notice Ray Slack doesn't show any Registration for 18th December 1888  -  are you sure that is how it reads Fred?      Just for the record, Slack's last item for 1888 is dated the 17th of December, and is Registered to one John Shaw & Sons of Sheffield, and is No. 115910.
Unfortunately, 1888 is way beyond the end of the lozenge period, so I can't double check my Kew records for you, although I can of course do so when I next visit.
That's not to say that this isn't a legitimate Registration  -  it may well be a CLASS IV item that Slack overlooked.

Turning to Registration 359805 dated 18th December 1880 - rather red faced here as it seems I don't have a Kew image in my own records.    I've checked the Register (not the Representations Book) and this items is without any description, so no help there.

What a coincidence  -  both these items dated 18th December - perhaps a portent of some disaster  -  maybe our crops will fail this summer ;D ;D

So, sorry to be unhelpful, and if you do want Kew images of either of the above let me know some time.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Sorry, Paul, but the second sentence of my second paragraph:
On the same page she also describes Heppel's RD 359806, registered on 18 December 1880 - Parcel 15, as 'wagon shape?', but doesn't actually illustrate the design. Now here are some photos of a wheelbarrow in purple marbled glass with the registry date lozenge for 18 December 1888 - Parcel 13. (Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by mrsmac1670). These are the first photos that I am can recall seeing of the Heppell wheelbarrow. Note that the wheelbarrow has horizontally-planked sides (which imitate those of the colliery wagon) and a wheel with 4 'spokes'.
has 2 typos and should, of course, read "Now here are some photos of a wheelbarrow in purple marbled glass with the registry date lozenge for 18 December 1880 - Parcel 15." [so is presumably from Heppell's RD 359806, although it seems to be a wheelbarrow rather than a 'wagon']. Hence the 'missing' RD for 18 December 1888 in Slack - Oops!

The Kew image for RD 359806 would be much appreciated in due course, please.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks Fred.               I'm surprised and annoyed that for whatever reason I seem to have overlooked taking photographs of 359806 - a mystery, but will do so soon and post immediately.

Offline neilh

• Members

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for the link, Neil. I'll have a look at the lots over the weekend.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I now have a copy of the original factory photograph which almost 100% useless for our purposes, but as I'd promised this am attaching just for the record.           Comparing the factory photo with the example shown by Fred, I'd probably agree they one and the same design, and the lack of quality of the Kew image may well explain why originally I'd not bothered with this one.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Thank you for the design representation, Paul.

I will try tweaking it on Photoshop before I add it to the GMB RD database.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand