No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Art Deco Smoke Glass Vase - ID = Rudolf Schrotter for Inwald  (Read 2943 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Hoping for help to ID this very tall (30 cm) smoke glass vase.  Uncertain of vintage, designer or maker.

Thanks,
Charles

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Huge Art Deco Smoke Glass Vase (Czech? French?)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 01:50:30 AM »
Definitely Czech. Originally made by Inwald in the thirties though I believe the design remained in production after the war. It was made in several sizes (3 if I recall correctly), and yours is one of the taller ones.

Edited to add:
Pattern 1158A, designed by Rudolf Schrotter:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,26548.msg145908.html#msg145908

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »
Thanks!  Great to know.  The funny thing is that there are almost none on the internet, at least that I could find.  Even though it is (apparently) not an uncommon piece. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »
I think they're far too big and heavy to be worth selling on the internet.
I have a teal one, a charity shop find, and a charity shop price, which is about the going rate.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
Thanks. Even though I have no plans to sell it, I'd love to know the value.  My sense is that Czech glass as a general proposition is under appreciated, and Art Deco glass is not a style currently in vogue, especially at lower price points (versus fabulous examples of Lalique).  As to scarcity?  I haven't a clue.  It's factory produced glass so many were no doubt made, but I can't say I've seen anything like it in years of collecting.  Perhaps less of this got to the US than to the UK.  Large and heavy things DO get sold on eBay all the time, and there are economical ways to ship things of relatively low value (say, under $100).  At least in the US.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:31:37 PM »
If the postage costs were the same as the vase, it does become uneconomical to sell.
I doubt you'd get a hundred dollars for it. Maybe 20.

You can watch this one if you like.  :) (It's not uranium).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deco-large-blue-Uranium-Glass-Czech-Bohemian-vase-by-Rudolf-Schrotter-/262852686772?hash=item3d333db3b4:g:4dQAAOSwr~lYoxie

I can't find any that have sold. Other Schrotter designs do sell, but not for much.
(list below)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Schrotter&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 11:25:22 PM »
This shape does seem to have become harder to find of late. I had an amethyst one in the smallest size a while back and now regret selling it. As Sue has said, they don't go for much money generally; however there are examples with lovely enamelled art deco patterns which pop up from time to time and these can fetch quite a bit more (not sure who did the decorating but they are typically attributed to Palda).

I'd be very surprised if the eBay one sells at that price. In my opinion yours is a more desirable example though due to the colour. The smoke colour was used by Inwald in the thirties so yours could be an earlier one.

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:04:53 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  This website is an invaluable resource, and nice community.  I have no immediate plans to sell the vase, but hopefully the market will learn to appreciate these things in the future.  For now, it's sharing a table top with a pair of 1930's Ercole Barovier horses.  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:09:48 AM »
It is normally teal ones I see in charity shops.
It starts looking a bit "brualist" in smoke, it's much more stylish and a better statement than the teal.:)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 11:40:10 AM »
Agree.  "Smoke" glass in general is less desirable than other colors in my experience, but every rule has exceptions.  I would probably say the form is more "architectural" (machine age?) than "Brutalist" or "Art Deco," latter being how it's usually described. Whatever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand