No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Young & Hodgson Regs. Nos. 711901 and 711902.  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Young & Hodgson Regs. Nos. 711901 and 711902.
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
23rd of March 1925 is the Registration date for three designs submitted to the Board of Trade by Young & Hodgson - the Nos. allocated are 711901, 711902 and 711903, and this post will cover the first two only  -  711903 is the subject of a separate post in the Board's archive.           Apologies that pix for all three Regs. are far from good  -  aside from the fact that the contrast within the outline of the image is poor, I think it's fairly obvious that whatever adhesive was used (something containing a solvent??) has bleached the blue, giving this blotched effect.   
711901 is particularly poor as it's a small picture and the blotching covers a large area.

As I knew the Registrants name I didn't bother to check the Kew Register, which may well have included a description of these two pieces - bit of an oversight - so now not really sure what 711901 was intended to be, although quite likely a vase of some kind, bearing in mind it has the thistle outline shape, but as usual no idea as to size...........   perhaps everything that incorporates this shape is vase/flower related.                711902 is almost certainly a jug of some description, but again no idea of size - it appears rather squat/short for a water jug - maybe cream or milk perhaps.

The original piece that gave rise to the search for these three Nos., is what I thought was a vase, but in fact turns out to be a celery, and is one of many shapes covered by Rd. 711903  .............  see elsewhere.        That celery - and presumably all other shapes covered by 711903, plus probably 711901 and 711902 - incorporate cut designs - not pressed.              I don't have any examples of either 711901 or 711902 - perhaps others might do and would be interesting to see them to at least evaluate size and confirm that the decoration is indeed cut.

All comments/criticism welcome, and thanks for looking.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand