No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh Crystal Quality  (Read 9309 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edinburgh Crystal Quality
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
thanks Frank - very interesting and not something I was remotely aware of.                 Unless I've misread the information, the only drinking glasses that are mentioned as having been made by this 'pressed' method, were the whiskey tumblers, so do we understand it that all other shapes of drinking glasses were made by the traditional method, would you say?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »
I really do not think Edinburgh Crystal Ionas from the '70s would have been outsourced.
They were not outsourced in '91 when I bought mine.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
I do not have enough info but I would expect at some point that increased use of pressing did happen in house, but note, only for blanks. I suspect the pressed cut designs were all outsourced.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »
Its is well known that with their long running styles like Iona, Thistle, Star of Edinburgh the quality of the glassware reduced/changed through the 80s and in to the 1990s which I presume is either from commercial pressure or change of production techniques. I have sold Edinburgh Crystal for 10 years and have seen it time and time again and I regularly customers who are aware of this quality difference and ask questions about this very point.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »
It is certainly not something I know of as being "well known" and I'm from Edinburgh.
The whole point of buying Edinburgh Crystal was that you didn't need to know top quality, you knew you were getting it. It was always suitable for wedding gifts. :)

But glasses from the era '50s '60s '70s, as stated in the listing, would not come under this '80s and '90 later "reduction in quality", whether anybody is aware of it or not.

edited to add.
I've just read the actual ebay listing. There is a note saying from the '80s underneath, in the written part rather than the dateline. So it's confusing there, but there is no mention of any reduction in quality from the later period.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
The main fact is that this eBay listing is correct. for whatever reason these glasses do not match hers exactly but they are Edinburgh Crystal and the listing is entirely accurate and not misleading in any manner.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
The seller (if they pay tax) would have lost over 40% of your purchase price.
Chris Parry

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
That makes no sense to me, any tax would be on profit not turnover. The majority of sellers who operate as a business on ebay choose to hide behind personal seller status, they do not declare themselves to ebay and thus the rest of us as business sellers.

WhatHo! is the ebay seller of the two glasses in question.

John

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
You include ebay final value fee, pay pal fees, postal fees especially on something to new Zealand would have been 10%, i'm guessing for those two glasses packed would not have come under 1kg so £22.80 at least and uk tax on profit at 20% and the initial cost of the item, thats what i have to pay, have you not sold an item on eBay as a registered business seller ? it works out for every 10 quid made you loose nearly half depending on how much you paid for the item in the first place, i'm going on selling something for i have paid a pound for and selling it for ten.

If you sell regular on ebay for profit your classed as a business seller.

I should know i have submitted 5 tax returns so far, ebay is all traceable its not like cash in hand at a fair.
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand