No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh Crystal Quality  (Read 9351 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Edinburgh Crystal Quality
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
If you sell regular on ebay for profit your classed as a business seller.
Ebay does not actually enforce that policy so it is effectively pointless.

As a business seller ebay's fees end up costing me around 10%, paypal charge approximately another 5%. I charge international buyers the cost of postage plus the 10% ebay adds on - it is not difficult to work out. So around 15% of all sales go in fees, there are of course many other costs along the way.

That is the cost of doing business, if you stand at a fair you have to pay your pitch fees plus all the other expenses, if you have a shop you will have rates, rent, etc to find...

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
I forgot to include the listing fee, the actual fee for having a shop, some times its extra for more caragories, packaging costs, tax on packaging, petrol, repairs to the car, business insurance for the house, public liability insurance for the house, your doing well at 15% I must be doing something wrong.

They all add up. It's pointless selling anything below 10 quid,

This morning I paid nearly £40 for printer ink and paper, £30 for bubble wrap and packing tape, i can go through 36 rolls in 2 months.

Ebay need some serious competition

Chris Parry

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
I thought you would like to know the up-shot from all the 'help' of this case.
ebay instructed my customer to smash my glasses which she promptly did.
2 rare and lovely champagne glasses destroy for no good reason. Me massively out of pocket for doing nothing wrong.
Feast your eyes glass lovers!!
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 03:40:09 PM »
Gobsmacked!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
which is meant to imply what??????

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
Giving details about eBay cases should be treated with caution on this forum, in fact, in fairness to the seller I don't thinking it should be allowed. Using this board to provide evidence, human nature being what it is, is always going to start with a certain amount of bias and sympathy towards the 'poor' buyer who is getting ripped off by some unscrupulous dealer.
In fairness, with forum threads like this there is only one thing to be considered - 'has the seller in anyway described inaccurately or mislead the buyer in the listing description'. If no then then that should be the end of matter.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
in essence that's true, and as can be seen Ann (Mod.) often issues words of caution to us not to offer personal comments where we don't know all the facts, and I wouldn't disagree with that.            Perhaps it should become a rule that the GMB shouldn't get involved as arbiter where a case remains live between a buyer and seller.
It's also true that on balance GMB members are the most likely source of accurate information regarding glass in general, so difficult to refuse some objective contribution - about the glass - where this is considered to be of help to either party regarding accuracy of facts, when ebay, for example, lack the knowledge to intervene with detailed expertise.          Have a feeling we would have followed the same course of action had the discussion originated from a seller rather than a buyer.
Have to say that the instruction to smash these glasses is a new one on me - although sometimes a piece can arrive already smashed!
Who is to decide whether buyer and/or seller have been honest??  -  the buyer - the seller?  -   certainly not ebay, since they will know nothing about glass  -  and as a result differences of opinion give rise to a dilemma, and in the end no one wins (except the postman).    Hopefully, we learn from experience, and unethical to offer sympathies to either party since opinions alone only encourage argument.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 04:07:55 PM »
 Hi ,
         quote "Have to say that the instruction to smash these glasses is a new one on me - although sometimes a piece can arrived already smashed!"

I have heard of other instances were if eBay are satisfied that from information received an item is a deliberate fake or forgery they instruct you to destroy the item, so they must have had that impression from information received from the buyer.

cheers

Peter.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 05:46:48 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
If folks would take a few minutes to read the Board Policy post here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6521.0.html they would see that we do already have a policy about commenting on sellers and online listings, etc.  It would also be useful if it was abided by please, to save Mods having to keep reminding folks (as Paul mentioned above.)

If there is a post made which, for any reason, you believe to be in breach of our Policy please use the Report to Moderator function on the post and one of the Mods will check it out.

Thanks all. 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand