No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me! Ice Cut vase, signed 'Michael Harris, Mdina Glass, Malta'  (Read 12932 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Mark is a member here, but he doesn't pop in very often.

This is a link to the page from his website, showing pictures of the launch of the Mdina book. That's me in the very bottom picture, with Mark.
http://markhillpublishing.com/tv/past-events/mdina-glass-book-launch/

I see that he is no longer in a position to be able to answer queries from the public, freely. If he did, he'd never have time to work or earn a living. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ruralcouple

• Members
  • We're no experts!
    • collectables
    • Wales
Ice Cut vase, signed 'Michael Harris, Mdina Glass, Malta'
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »
Lovely to meet you Sue!  What a great opportunity to meet with Mark Hill, such a shame he is no longer available for personal queries but totally understandable.
Appreciating the history of art, antique and unusual items

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It was a complete set-up.  ;)
We knew each other before, because of our shared love of Michael Harris' work.
He has been known ask me for my opinion about the identity of Mdina. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ruralcouple

• Members
  • We're no experts!
    • collectables
    • Wales
< bowing down.. lol... your opinion is obviously highly valued Sue, I may end up asking you too many questions!  Do you know if there is a record of the number of signed ice-cut lollipops or is it the unknown?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :-[ :)
We don't know. There are a few out there.
You have to consider there was only so much work he could have done in the short 3 years he was at Mdina, he had to get good enough to make such a complex and big thing. He did not like signing things. He felt the art should be able to speak for itself. (personally, I agree. ;D) He only did it when asked by the buyer, or for export to the States, where they sort of insisted on it.
I believe that there were certain items he did sign in a small experiment to see if they sold better, which may have overlaped a bit with the American import insistence.
Those tend to be Ice-Cut Lollipops and Japanese Globes.

So finding a signature on an Ice-cut Lollipop he made is not entirely unexpected.
The really unexpected thing is finding an Ice-Cut Lollipop he made at all.

We have tried to count some of the scarcer things. I think we're up to there being around 40 Crizzle Stones known, and around 9 teal-strapped Amethyst "Club" bottles.
I imagine there are more Ice-cut Lollipops than Crizzle Stones, which are still considered to be one of the scarcest and most desirable pieces.

There are others here who know lots about Mdina, Mark is happy just to leave it to us.  :)
The whole purpose of the board is to discuss and find answers to questions about glass. Without questions, there is no point in us being here.
Please, carry on! :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ruralcouple

• Members
  • We're no experts!
    • collectables
    • Wales
Thanks Sue, that makes complete sense to us; the person who owned the lollipop was an artist (she passed away in her 90s about 3 years ago), she owned a considerable amount of glassware, Mdina, Murano and other signed pieces, she also had a vast book and vinyl collection - she had some rare pieces, signed by conductors and authors.  We can imagine her visiting Mdina, or even personally knowing Michael Harris, and obtaining a signed piece directly from him.  My husband and I had no previous knowledge of glassware until coming across a few items and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Please, do go through all the glass you have and bring it to us here, we'd love to see it and to help you learn more.
We might turn you into complete glassaholics yet. :)

We've got lots of techie. info and help here,

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.msg362679.html#new

to help you with the photographs and the resizing. You can put 4 images in each post, just click on the bit under the Browse button where it says (more attachments) and another Browse box will appear.

We were all new to it once, I've learned most of what I know from this board. :)

It is true that Michael Harris knew many of his contemporary artists, and I know he made a piece for Helen Munro-Turner. It is quite within the realms of possibility that he may have even made this for your artist lady.
What was her name, or is that private?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ruralcouple

• Members
  • We're no experts!
    • collectables
    • Wales
Thank you Sue, apologies for the delay in replying, we have been sifting through paperwork to try and confirm the previous owner's name, we went through solicitors and have not yet been able to find her name, some of her paintings were signed by 'sourbottom' or 'soggybottom' or similar, they, along with a lot of glassware, were snapped up by others before us.  We will keep trying though.. we know have some Murano so will share that with you when we can.  Regards

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Thanks! Just whenever it suits you. We'll be here. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Mod: Ruralcouple's other glass items are now being posted individually.

If you are a registered member and wish to view all their items, more or less together, click on their username, then "Show Posts" (Sorry, but Guests do not get that privilege).
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand