No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby fern decorated sugar bowl rd 10966  (Read 2309 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Sowerby fern decorated sugar bowl rd 10966
« on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
I'm surprised this one is not on here, i have seen it a few times before.

Rim diameter is 5 3/4 inches with a height of 5 1/2 inches and foot fiameter of 3 1/2 inches.

Marks are opposite each other on the inner bowl surface.

Regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Sowerby fern decorated sugar rd 10966
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
Close up of decoration.
Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby fern decorated sugar bowl rd 10966
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
This type wheel engraved decoration is usually described as an example of 'pteridomania'  -  which always makes me think of dinosaurs.             Registration dated 11th August 1884, so just beyond the end of the lozenges which means I won't have a picture of the original factory drawing, but can get this from Kew if Fred thinks it worthwhile some time.            Very probably the Sowerby drawing will show only the outline shape and moulding of the sugar  -  and not the ferny engraving - I notice that Cottle says Registered for 'pattern and shape'.          Reg. 10967 also Registered on this date, and think that's a sugar too.
Perhaps this is an uncommon Registered design.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
Thank you for showing this design, Chris.  I don't have any photos of it.

It is shown on page 56 of Sowerby pattern book XI (1885) as Sowerby pattern C. 1804 (or possibly G.1804,  it's a little difficult to make out which) in a section titled 'cut & engraved sugars and creams'. The illustration also  indicates that it from a registered design.

There is a variant of the shape and pattern shown alongside - I | 1804 - described as 'cut' stars. This variant is not, however, shown as from a registered design.

As Paul says, Thompson describes the design as for 'pattern and shape', so perhaps I | 1804 has the shape but not the pattern from the design representation.

I would appreciate it Paul if could indeed acquire the requisite design details for R 10966 from Kew during some future visit (plus, if possible, RD 10967 for comparison and completeness).

The  patterns in this section all have a pattern number for a particular basic shape which is prefixed by a capital letter indicating the style of cut or engraved decoration, e.g.
A.1695 cut & obscured; E. 1695 cut; H. 1695 cut & obscured (but with a different design than A. 1695); I | 1695 cut and obscured (with yet another different design)
I | 1805 cut hollows; A. 1805 engraved; B. 1808 engraved (but with a different design to A. 1805); D. 1805 engraved (with yet another design)

I've checked through my reference photos and there seems to be a dearth of examples of these Sowerby cut and engraved sugars and creams, though I can find no particular reason why they should be uncommon.

Just for reference, though, here is a photo of a very plain shape of pedestal bowl (presumably a sugar) with  engraved ferns to the bowl - marked with the  the Sowerby peacock head but no RD number - the pattern number for which eludes me at the moment. Also a photo of a can or tankard  - pattern 1826 on page 88 of pattern book XI (1885) - from the 1888 Glasgow International exhibition, embellished with engraved ferns.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 08:44:42 PM »
these Sowerby type sugars still pop up not uncommonly - charity shops, bric-a-brac outlets etc., but I've long since ceased collecting them.... like most folk, full of beans when we start and collect everything in order to learn.

As can be seen in the attached factory drawing for 10966, the original design appears minus any decoration....    whether this means some were sold blank and some decorated - or simply that the pressing was without any pattern but it was intended that all pieces of this Reg. were scheduled to be engraved  -  we'll never know.

Also attached is copy of the drawing for 10967  -  some moulded decoration and different shaped pedestal.           As always, drawings are without any dimensions.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:52:39 AM »
Thank you, Paul, for showing these design representations from Kew.

Fred.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »
I was wondering generally if the ferny decor was orginal myself.
I believe a lot of glass got decorated with ferny bits in cottage industries in Scotland, just folk at home with some etching equipment. Some of it can be pretty ropey, some amazing.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »
as far as I know Sue, most if not all of the pteridomania ferny pieces are wheel engraved, and not etched, and there is evidence on Glenn and Stephen's CDs to show that the factory pattern books included items such as tumble and ups (guest carafes with drinking glass), sugars and jugs which were adorned with ferny looking fronds.           The catalogue description includes the word engraved.   
Of course that's not to say some might not have been from a cottage industry, but in view of the method of creating these ferns, it might have not been easy whether engraved or etched  -  I agree most of it is fairly basic.

In Volume Three of the CD Rom set, factory patterns 1804 and 1805 are both shown with engraved ferns, and imho this work would have been done at the factory rather than subcontracting the work.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
I don't know that much about it, just what I've picked up along the way.

I have what I thought was a pint pot with some on it, so I shoved it in the dishwasher. A few years later, I realised it might actually be just a bucket vase, it's got a sort of dome in the bottom and is possibly older than I'd first thought. (which was "somebody nicked it from the pub and did this to it") :-[
Michael didn't want to use it anyway.
The other thing I have is a small yellowy glass "vinegar" sort of stoppered and handled jug, not the sort of thing that could be attributed to any maker, its "cold working" is a bit better than the pint pot, but it itself is rather crudely and badly made, although very complex.

As much the lack of quality of glass used as the lack of artistry in the cold work on it led me to believe it was very much a cottage industry sort of thing.
I don't know if that was done in England, or what went on there.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
I'd forgotten to add to my last rambling, my thoughts on curiosity as to the first known use of the word 'pteridomania' to describe this sort of decoration  -  do you think it was Christine ;D ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand