No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue trailed vase  (Read 6647 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Blue trailed vase
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Here's an image of a couple of early amethyst strapped pieces, which demonstrates how difficult it is to achieve good looking random strapping. They both fail, quite spectacularly.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AndyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 08:50:18 PM »
I see what you mean. I have some and some are good, others similar to yours. I do like them all though, they still have character.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
I've put a video of mine on youtube to show the strapping in more detail ....using a cake decorating stand !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm6qC-IYAwg
Mike

Offline AndyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
The same as mine but with a clear base, the pattern of the trailing is the same too. I wonder how many there are yet to be found.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
I think we're up to knowing of 8 of the tall amethyst bottles.
There are about 40 Crizzle Stones, currently known.
Of these blue pieces, there's yours, John's, Mike's, and possibly 2 or three more?
There are perhaps about 10 Zig-zags known?
(John keeps up to date with things and watches the market far more than I do.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »
Some general trailing of glass going on in this video , just shows how quickly it all happens and how skilled you have to be !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b41AELY7i04
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:20 PM »
Very pleased indeed to report that , having made a visit to the HQ of  Isle of Wight Studio Glass , there is a very similar vase on display in the glass museum which is attached to the studio .

I took the vase with me and didn't expect to talk with either Timothy or Elizabeth but ended up having a very nice chat with both about my example of this type of vase. Timothy thinks it was most likely made towards the end of Michael's time at Mdina . He also mentioned that the blue colour would have been dark to begin with but as it was used up... clear glass was added to make it last longer. The result of this was that over time the blue colour became much lighter . Hence the difference in colour between the two vases.

I was kindly given permission to take a photo of both vases placed next to each other. I would like to thank the Museum and Elizabeth and Timothy for all their huge help  :D

Sue ....you were spot-on  ;D
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
I've been wondering if this was a more simple and regular "psychadelic" sort of pattern he was trying to make so that others could repeat it? But maybe this one was too difficult?

There is the Chinese bowl design with a thick pattern of strapping on, one others could make, and the three spirals which was also repeatable.
Just musing!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »
I think it's a variation of this design seen on this shallow bowl but more elongated (& simpler but more difficult to execute on the side of a vase perhaps ! )....repeated twice on my vase .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mdina-Signed-Eric-Dobson-1974-Shallow-Ochre-Swirl-Glass-Bowl-Charger-Rosenthal-/192219352976?hash=item2cc12a8f90%3Ag%3At4oAAOSwiQ9ZQ~8F
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2017, 06:39:25 PM »
That's the three spirals design. :)
It does have differing executions though. A particularly nice one is like the one in that link, with the extra wiggles at the top, and some of the trails being quite thin as well as thick, as opposed to without wiggles and no variation in thickness.

Here's a couple of images (one with light reflecting off the surface, the other with light coming through) of a similar charger, but a different execution. No wiggles and thick, even trails.
Also, images of two bullet bowls, one much larger and more finely blown than the other, but with the much more elegant wiggles and varying widths of trail.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand