No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge signed 3 fish charger  (Read 964 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Huge signed 3 fish charger
« on: June 17, 2017, 05:20:12 PM »
Hi Guys, i bought this lovely piece today and help most welcome. Its 18" and weighs a massive 8kg. I would think Murano? Date and maker please, TIA, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Huge signed 3 fish charger
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 10:19:28 PM »
maybe some link with Elio Raffaeli however the signature doesn't 'seem to fit from my brief searches.
I do think the last word is Raffaeli on yours and a number of fish pieces come up on a search of Elio Raffaeli.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 10:58:47 PM »
I think M is likely on the right lines. According to google Roberto Camozzo worked with Raffaeli and the signature refers to both. High end glassmaking from the island of murano it seems!

Robert(bOBA)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
Awesome guys!!!! I have found these details about the gentlemen in question! Great birthday present for me!! Happy, errrr yes :)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 11:19:23 AM »
In 1980 two glass masters, Elio Raffaeli and Roberto Cammozzo and one 'molatore' (cold shop master), Vianello Renzo became partners to form the ARS Murano factory. The three partners have different backgrounds but they all previously collaborated with the famous artist Livio Seguso, whose influence proved fundamental in their training. In his furnace, they learnt to develop precision, love for detail, purity, elegance and a deep understanding of glass.

ARS was created on these same principles, with Renzo, Roberto and Elio integrating their great expertise with a large passion for their art and the natural desire to express it. When someone visits their furnace, whether it is an artist, a designer, an architect or simply a friend, the feeling is always that of being welcomed by a big family. The glass masters, together with the team of workers that assist them, take their guests on a magic journey towards a whole new world.

Only by living the hustle and bustle, the heat and atmosphere of an active furnace, can one understand the special melting of creativity and complete trust that joins together artists with different education and different experience in a single way of expression. Besides the artistic laboratory, open to Italian and foreign artists, ARS Murano is also well renowned for its interpretation of the traditional aquarium which have become so highly prized and collected due to their elegance and richness of details.

They have built a huge following for their various pieces of sculptures with small fish and sealife embedded within. Their continual creativity has assured their success. They have continued to flourish. Artists from around the world have sought them out for their great technical expertise: Robert Wilson from the U.S.A., and Fujita from Japan. Their ability to work on a very large scale is unique in Murano. And there is always the clarity of their glass, its colour and its grace of execution.

Elio Raffaeli ...

Born in Venice in 1936 to a Muranese family, Elio Raffaeli lived and studied on the Island of Murano, the glassblowing capital of Venice. At the age of fifteen, he was hired by the Seguso-Dalla Venezia glass factory where he made the acquaintance of Piero Scaramal, his first master. There he was taught the basic secrets of the magic art of Murano. Raffaeli worked with Scaramal for seven years, first as a garzone and subsequently as first assistant, maturing both as a person and as a glassblower. Misfortunes at the Seguso-Dalla Venezia factory compelled him to move to another prestigious firm, Salviati. Here Raffaeli refined his capabilities as a glass master, perfecting both the techniques of blowing delicate glass pieces and those of making solid glass sculpture. In 1966 he moved on to a newly formed factory, Briati, where he was hired as a master and given a piazza. Here he began to interpret with balanced precision the designs of the famous Flavio Poli. Next Raffaeli went to work with Livio Seguso, one of the great 20th century sculptors, where he forged a working relationship and friendship with the young Roberto Cammozzo.

Roberto Cammozzo ...

Roberto was born in Murano on July 24, 1945. At a very young age he began to learn the secrets of glass-making as an apprentice to Ermanno Nason, then the master glassblower at the Mazzega glassworks. Roberto went on to the famous Salviati factory, where he worked side-by-side with Livio Seguso. When Seguso founded his own furnace, he took Roberto with him. There Commozzo worked for many years, developing the necessary skills to master the making of large sculptural forms. During these years Cammozzo also studied with several of the most eminent glass masters, such as Tosi, Fuga, and Mavrodin. He received many awards and was lauded for his exceptional technical ability !!

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 12:00:13 PM »
Super bowl.  :)

For reference a few pictures attached of a aquarium turtle sculpture signed by Roberto Cammozzo, which carries the 'ARS' Murano company mark:-

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand