No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Smoke glass optical horizontal rib pattern vase  (Read 922 times)

Offline Kazmichelle

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Smoke glass optical horizontal rib pattern vase
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
Hi can anyone help me with identifying this item of glass please?
I think it's Scandinavian.
Can anyone shed any light on the maker?
It measures  8.5" high and is quite heavy.
Thanks Karen

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Kazmichelle

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Help identifying this item.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:22:29 PM »
I'm having trouble uploading photos.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Kazmichelle

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:55:47 PM »
Another photo...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »
hi - for someone on only their third post, your pix are very good  ...................   we get photos from established members that are not up to your standard.

Optically moulded Scandi pieces were common middle third of C20, then geometric shapes and surface textures seem to prevail more. 
Without label or signature these things can be difficult to id  .............  when you think of their complex pieces like Graal, Ariel and some of the wheel engraving, maybe they thought optic moulding was of a lesser quality and didn't bother to sign them - assume yours isn't signed.
Names that might be worth looking at were Kastrup, Orrefors and Kosta, but finding examples for comparison might be difficult, and we don't have many Scandi experts now :)            Might be worth looking at the V. & A. on line catalogue.
Perhaps robbo might have a suggestion.

Offline Kazmichelle

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:52:17 PM »
Hi Paul
Thanks for the comments of the photos.
As for as i can see, there isn't a signature but there is a lot of movement wear to the base.
I will have a look at V&A catalogue.
I have been collecting glass for a while but I am struggling to identify some pieces, so you may see some more posts from me.
Thanks
Karen

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
Hi Karen  -  would love to see some more photos from you  -  whatever the type of glass, but can't guarantee we'll come up with the answers. :)

ids for glass without labels or sigs. can vary from difficult to impossible -  help comes in the form of other web sites which display glass from a variety of sources to provide the necessary comparisons   -  books which are essential if you're serious about collecting  -  and then of course there's us ;D
In the nine or ten years I've been a member on GMB, the available knowledgeable folk here have sadly dwindled enormously  -  we've had authors of books and some well known dealers in past years, but now some collecting areas lack people to help, entirely.   
Don't know where you are, but do also remember museum collections, antiques fairs, galleries etc, can help  -  and you don't actually have to buy their wares  -  just look and learn, and don't drop their pieces :o

Your piece of glass is almost certainly Scandi  -  but the maker may well remain unknown  -  it's a good piece - perhaps not so collectible now as it might have been some few years back, but it's useful and provided it has avoided excessive water staining then should be a good item for show.   
Struggling to id pieces is a common situation for most of us  -  you may find that as time passes you concentrate more on one area  -  it does have the advantage that you do become good at your chosen genre  -  being a jack of all trades is o.k. but you never perhaps feel that you master any of them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand