No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart goblets  (Read 1390 times)

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
Stuart goblets
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »
Got 8 of these on eBay. Marked "Stuart Made In Great Britain". Any ideas on the age or designer?

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
Stuart goblets
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:12:07 AM »
Got 8 of these on eBay. Marked "Stuart Made In Great Britain". Any ideas on the age or designer?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart goblets
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
sorry, no idea on either count.            Suggest initially you try the Replacements.com site - and have aspirin and water on hand ;)
As an afterthought, the 'Great Britain' part might suggest these originated in the 1950s, but that's really not a fact set in stone, only a suggestion.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
sorry, my comments probably misleading so please disregard as probably inaccurate  -  lets start again.

This could be the era of Jack Lloyd, as decoration is high quality wheel engraving  -  plus presently I can't find this actual mark in the books  -  it's the Great Britain bit that's giving a problem, so will go through books again, and come back hopefully with something a little more accurate, although can't guarantee to have all the answers.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
Maybe a mark given to items for export - hence the addition of Great Britain?

John

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
Thanks Paul and John.

Yes these glasses were for sale in America from an estate sale so I also wondered if they were part of an export line.
They're unlike anything I've seen from Stuart before but I don't have books on the subject so that's to be expected. I've certainly never seen anything like this for sale before which is why I bought them. They are quite lightweight glasses for their size. There were other matching  pieces for sale marked just "Stuart England".

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:51:13 PM »
we'll be o.k. now -  we've obviously now got some real brains working on this one ;D ;D

I've never seen Great Britain on Stuart's work  -  the decoration does look like wheel engraving, as opposed to bog standard cutting.    The problem with Stuart patterns is that access to factory designs is nigh on impossible outside of the common patterns we all see - I forget where the books are now  -  Nigel said there was a four volume issue some years back, which cost an arm and a leg, but don't think anyone here has access to them.
You might get a better response from the States people, if this was the intended market for this design, although we don't know that is was exclusive to the other side of the pond.

Offline wurlitzer

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
Thanks Paul. Thats interesting. Looks like it will require a bit more digging.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »
yes  ............  and a very big spade ;D               best of luck.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »
I know nothing about marks, but recently I did find a Stuart Hardwicke goblet, which is very much the same shape as this.
It's one of the most beautiful goblets I've ever seen or held - (for a piece for a table setting, I'm not going to get into being told I'm insulting Jacobean glass.)

I'm absolutely positive it's rock crystal cut, there are no sharp edges, just a fabulous "watery" appearance.
Being the same shape, and the very superior cold work, I would imagine they are from a similar period. I did track mine down on replacements to find the name of the pattern.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand