No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Earthtones at Mdina and MDG; Discussion.  (Read 16680 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Earthtones at Mdina and MDG; Discussion.
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Thanks. Initial title details changed as suggested.

All reply posts between the start of the thread and this post will retain the original title after "Re:".
KevinH

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: Mdina Earthtones new information......
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02:46 PM »
Sue (chopin-liszt) said:Please provide a meaningful alternative thread title. I would certainly make the change but I cannot tell from the thread what is misleading and what isn't.

Hi Kevin

I would be very unhappy if the title is changed .......... There is more information on Tortoiseshell that is going to be posted in a new topic later tonight.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
Hi Kevin .......

I am happy with the 'New Title' if it makes some members happy.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »
Thanks Patrick.

If the new info on Tortoiseshell is put in another thread, then it can be linked from this thread wherever that might be helpful.
KevinH

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Mdina Earthtones new information......
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
It is fair to say there has been an evolution of the design, as far as I can tell (judging by the shapes it is found on) the spiralling brown and cream version may be the earliest variation with the more random or artistic trails and the grid like patterns following.

The Dexham catalogue is not a comprehensive sample of the factories output at the time.

When Harris left Malta he wanted to leave the studio in a viable position despite the fact he was forced out by the Maltese goverment, he effectively gifted them Ming, Crystal Blue Stripe, Tortoiseshell, Earthtones, etc. His old friend Dobson was still heavily involved there and the decision was made to differentiate the new output - hence the general change to more angular shapes and more flared rims.

Harris did not leave a single piece of glass behind (presumably it was all sold one way or another) nor did he leave any materials behind, they were the materials he started production with at Isle of Wight Studio Glass, think of those blue green pedestal paperweights - in typical Mdina colours.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2017, 05:22:08 PM »
There is new information but you do not want to listen to it.
Forget IOW.
Sue, I need you to make this clear.
Are you stating that Mdina Tortoiseshell and Mdina Earthtones are the same thing/process?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
It is hardly new information if it is either incomplete or plain wrong.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
No, What Ho, I never did say that. You are getting confused.
See the images I posted of Mdina Tortoiseshell, and Mdina Earthtones, they show the differences clearly.

I said Mdina Earthtones is the same as Isle of Wight Studio Glass Tortoiseshell.

Harris contiuned with the designs he'd created at Mdina when he started at IoWSG, which is why what was made at IOWG in '73 is completely relevant.

We already knew Boffo took the design to MDG. There is nothing new.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »
I think this large hollow pebble with a hole in it might be earthtones allthough it is heavy and has no wear and i'm not sure what it's for i thought a lamp base ?.

Not signed.

Not sure what it's for?.

Top and bottom are polished flat.

3 1/2 inches in diameter.
Chris Parry

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »
 :)
It is Earthtones, and an early shape. The top should not be polished flat, but have a big lumpy button rim and there should be a clear dropper to go with it.
It's a perfume bottle, but I suspect it got damaged and the top has been ground and polished down.
I had one with the stopper completely stuck in it, then ground down by somebody.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand