No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Balls Pyramid Shape Paperweight  (Read 3546 times)

Offline cxgirl

• Members
Glass Balls Pyramid Shape Paperweight
« on: July 29, 2017, 08:26:32 PM »
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is a paperweight but thought I would try here first. While searching I found a couple of inkwells/perfume bottles in the same design but not another of these.
3 1/2" diameter x 3 1/4"H, polished bases.
Any ideas on where or when this was made?
Thanks for looking
Mary

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Glass Balls Pyramid Shape Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »

Hi Mary.  I believe that this design has been made by various makers in various countries over the past 150 years...including some recent versions from China.  Some of the older ones are lead crystal and have an iridescent finish, and are left complete rather than having ground flats on the base.  I have not seen any attributions to makers that I felt confident were correct!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
Thank-you Alan!
The inkwells with the iridescent finish are lovely, maybe 1 day I will find one.
Mary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »
Haven't these have been identified on the main glass board?  at least the iridescent ones?

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Thank-you for that great link John!
On page 2 of the link there is a photo with 2 paperweights, they are said to be Harrach - this is the first photo of a paperweight that I've seen. Also shows glasses with ball feet in vaseline glass, also thought to be Harrach.
Will keep searching to see if I can find more.
Thanks again
Mary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
There was some information posted on Collectors Weekly on page 2 of the linked thread.  That has now disappeared however I think if you scroll down on this link, the information is this:
http://collectorsweekly6.rssing.com/chan-14804909/all_p18.html

It said they were made by Harrach 1870s -1880s - I couldn't find the original reference which confirmed this as fact though.

Also on the linked GMB thread John gave, KevH says this :
'While searching a book on paperweights [ * ] I came across images and descriptions for four items that confirm the source as Eduard Dressler, in the Gablonz area. Dated c. 1886 - 1900'

m

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
Thank-you flying free! I don't know how you did it but the information is there! They mention proof of them being made by Harrach but doesn't say what that is - will keep searching. If I find anything I'll post here.
I saw the reference to the book, I'll have to double check but I don't think I have that one.
Mary

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
Possibly Eduard Dressler was a distributor/wholesaler for these rather than the maker.
It's not possible to tell from this online article from Petr Novy where it says as part of the article:

'...He was born in Prussian Marklisse near the Czech border. After working in Smržovka, he worked in 1853 at Josef Keil, a Jablonec export company. In 1860, Dressler became independent and successfully engaged in the export of glass buttons. Later, he focused on the production and trade of crystal and glass goods.'

http://www.mestojablonec.cz/cs/mesto/jablonecky-mesicnik/01-2008/eduard-dressler.html

Here is another inkwell in green glass:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-european-green-glass-inkwell-436562250

Offline cxgirl

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 07:36:52 PM »
Thanks flying free! Interesting to see a green bottle, although to me it looks blue. Not a lot of information on Dressler - I found this information on the Great-Glass Co UK website, hope it is okay to copy here. So yes, he could have been a distributor of them.
Dressler, Eduard   
Schreibendorf, Germany (1868 - early 20th C)
Also Josefstal, Czechoslovakia. Manufacturer of pressed & hand-blown glassware, & refiner of blanks produced by the Josephinenhütte & other glassworks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand